Bought the wrong cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
mrtappan
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Bought the wrong cam

Post by mrtappan »

So I liked the Comp Cams 163-201-5 and bought one BUT........ it doesn't work with a pre 99 block I found out too late. So wanting to switch to Comp Cams 68-231-4 but I have found a lot of uncertainty in regards to it working with stock springs. This is a very mild build. Built to run on regular pump gas (not premium) and will not be used for rock crawling, mudding, etc. Just a regular drive around on the streets pavement queen style jeep. I have the head bolted on and had installed the WRONG cam and lifters. Engine is on a stand so pulling the head isn't that big of a headache but if I don't have to then I won't. If necessary I will pull it and swap to the Mopar performance springs. Just wanted a final opinion on this setup. It will be running the stock injection, intake, and exhaust manifolds.

Low compression, stock valve train, manual, ODB1 injection. Won't be used for anything crazy and highest RPMs will likely be highway driving.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Bought the wrong cam

Post by Cheromaniac »

Russ Pottenger has his own custom CompCams grinds with a 113* LSA and a max lift of 0.450" that'll work with the stock valve springs. You might want to shoot him a PM.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
mrtappan
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by mrtappan »

I ended up searching some more and finally found one I liked. Comp Cams 68-501-5 says it is compatible with the stock FI and no valve springs required. I wasn't looking for a big increase in power just didn't want to waste all the time building the stroker just to put a stock cam in it.

Summit Racing had one left in stock and it arrives tomorrow. Guess i'll turn the block sideways on the stand and use a magnet to pull the lifters half out. Swap cams and I'll be back on the build.

Still waiting on unrelated stuff like girdle spacers and some other small stuff but I should be about 95% done.That is if the oil pan fits.... but we'll see in there near future.

By the way, I did get a spacer from Russ to retain the serpentine system. He was very helpful.
yabvol
Stroker Displacement: 284c
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: kia
Vehicle Model: picanto

Post by yabvol »

I am always impressed with that BTR torque cam despite it not thumping out BIG numbers. It's a single pattern, but seems to do the job. Obviously BTR put in the work on that one.

snaptube vidmate