I'm New! Stroker 4.6 questions. Holley EFI?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
H3lping
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

I'm New! Stroker 4.6 questions. Holley EFI?

Post by H3lping »

Hey guys im new here, have posted before but would like to start anew. I have been doing my due diligence to learn as much as I can but am looking for some concrete answers. To start I currently have a 94 4.0 out of an xj on an engine stand and a 4.2 currently in my 89 Wrangler. By the looks of it, it would be smart to go with a 4.6 not a 4.5 just to ensure the old 4.0 block is true. I have yet to send in the block to my machinist so if they have to deck it to make it flat ill have to do that math afterwards. Other than that, it looks like Dinos and Russes info is worth its weight in gold, so I've gone with Russ's "4.6L low-buck stroker" setup.
"4.6L low-buck stroker"

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.030" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 18cc
9.6:1 CR
CompCams 68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Russ Pottenger ported HO 2.00"/1.55" 62cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines
268hp @ 4900rpm, 326lbft @ 3500rpm
Banks Headers

As for questions, I have quite a few

Can I go through my local machinist to get the head ported or would Russ be a safer bet regardless of shipping cost?
I am unfamiliar with cc's of pistons, quench, ect, and need to learn, but it looks like Russ's custom pistons are the best bet?
Can I go through Russ for the cam? Or can I just get a whole set with springs and everything through CompCams?
Can I use the intake off my 4.2 and mount a Holley Sniper EFI kit to it? If so does Holley's BBD kit made for the 4.2 suffice or would I need a bigger one to support a 4.6?
Would it be smart to go with upgraded valve springs, new roller/stock rockers, and pushrods while im already replacing the timing set?
And ive seen some mentions of the 89 4.2 crank having a long snout and it causing fitment problems, what is the solution to that?

I know its alot but im here to learn! Any info is appreciated! :D
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: I'm New! Stroker 4.6 questions. Holley EFI?

Post by Cheromaniac »

The '89 4.2 crank is just the ticket 'cause that one has a short nose (same length nose as the 4.0 crank).
Russ can supply you with rods, pistons, camshaft, valve springs, timing set, pushrods, and any other parts you need to build your stroker.
I'd also advise that you give him the job of porting the head.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
H3lping
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by H3lping »

Thanks Cheromaniac, great news on the crank. That was a bigger concern of mine :D . Ill get in contact with Russ to get some more info on all that and pricing. Do you have any info on the throttle body fuel injection (Holley sniper)? It is something I was already planning on doing rather than retrofitting the 4.0 EFI.
Its also come to my attention that the engine mounts are different on a XJ 4.0 rather than a YJ 4.0. Any input? Thanks again!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

BTW I'm Dino :D and yes, the XJ engine mounting brackets are different from those of the YJ. The brackets from the TJ are the same though.
I've no experience of the Holley Sniper EFI system but others who've used it were very happy.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: