Titan Engines 4.7L- oil pressure issues

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Lilnapsak
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Titan Engines 4.7L- oil pressure issues

Post by Lilnapsak »

Hey everyone, new to this forum!

Recently i installed a 4.6L stroker in my 97’ Jeep XJ from Titan Engines. Installation and break in went smoothly and I was very happy with the engine at first. I’ve Since put about 3k miles on the engine, mostly just backroads & short trips, not beating on the engine

I’ve been experiencing some issues during the month of may. The engine runs and sounds wonderful, but I’ve been getting a check gauges light and my oil pressure drops to nothing at a hot idle. I figured the sender unit was going out so I ordered a new genuine Mopar unit (still has not arrived) but I wanted to confirm with a mechanical gauge at a hot idle with the sender unit. I added a t fitting and installed a small mechanical gauge along with the sender gauge.

I originally installed one of those glycerin filled gauges and it was reading 4-5 psi at hot idle. I then found an article that explained how the oil in those gauges can expand when in a hot engine compartment and give a false reading, so I removed it and used a standard oil pressure gauge and the pressure is still reading a low oil pressure of about 9psi
At hot idle. The oil pressure fluctuates and acts normal while driving, this problem is solely while idling.

I’m going to pick up a few different gauges from some buddies tonight and see what they are all reading too. But I’m wondering what might cause this reading to be so low when I have zero noise or problems with the engine performing ?

I’ve been Speaking with Dave at Titan Engines and he’s asked me to pull the valve cover and check for squishy lifters, everything looks and feels fine. He seems to be pretty puzzled on this too, considering at 5psi I should be hearing something or the engine shouldn’t be running as smoothly as it is.

Engine is still under warrenty but I can already tell from Dave’s voice that he’s not happy that I’m considering pulling the motor and sending it back to him to figure it out the issue. I had plans to drive this all across the country from June-September and this issue has put everything on hold… and I’m not very happy at the moment because of that. I hate to be a pain in the ass but refuse to pull this motor apart when I’m not the one who put it together. If it’s a major mechanical problem, Titan needs to fix it and make this right on their dime and time.

Nothings leaking, oil looks great, rotella t4 10w30 and wix oil filter as Titan requires/recommends. I’ve swapped oil filters in the event one may have collapsed, all sender oil ports are clean as a whistle.

Basically everything on this engine is brand new aside from my water pump pulley, PS pump, and alternator.

Also I’ve picked up a cylinder 4 misfire code in this time period that I’m unsure is related or not. I’ve gotten it about 5 times so far, no misfire is occurring. I’ve tested the Ignition side and we’re all good there. I tested my injectors and wiring with a test light and they seem to be okay as well. Injectors are 12hole 24 # injectors from K suspension. Im going to pull the injectors and bring them to my friend who’s got an injector cleaner/tester machine where we can watch the spray pattern to see if one may be malfunctioning or not.

Anybody have any insight or experience with this issue? I’ve seen this issue come up a lot but it always points towards a sender unit or a collapsed Fram oil filter. I’m stumped at this point.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Titan Engines 4.7L- oil pressure issues

Post by IH 392 »

The original 4.0 in my Wrangler was doing that, I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube with Melling parts, that fixed the issue.
I took the OE aluminum pump apart and could see no visual issues with it?

There is an interference issue with the aftermarket (Melling) oil pumps and the 4.0 blocks, anyone that's familiar with this engine should be aware of it, the pump and/or block require a little grinding to get the clearance for it to fit right.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
yabvol
Stroker Displacement: 284c
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: kia
Vehicle Model: picanto

Re: Titan Engines 4.7L- oil pressure issues

Post by yabvol »

I have a 96 GC with a 4.7 liter stroker motor with around 5000 miles on it since I got it from Titan Motors. My inquiry is this: At startup, oil pressure is around 40 lbs on the check. In warm climate, at ordinary operation temp (around 200 degrees water temp), the inactive strain drops to 20 lbs. Never lower, yet remains there except if I take the motor above around 2500 rpm. Then, at that point, returns to around 40 lbs. Running the expressway at 75 mph, it will remain at 20 lbs once completely heated up.

Tutuapp 9Apps