Clegg 5.0 ?s

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Clegg 5.0 ?s

Post by Hydro.0 »

Hello all,

It's been some time since I've implored stroker options. I have a 99 block with 0630 head that I've been wanting to rebuild. I came across another thread on here that said Clegg 5.0, so I contacted them for more info.

I was informed that because of the crank they provide this kit can uses stock size rods and pistons matching the user need. Unlike the usual overbore of previous 5.0s, this I was told could be made into a mild stroker build with stock fuel pump. I would only need to add the injectors and bigger throttle body.
I would consider the comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam or the Clegg stage 3, maybe stage two cam.

My questions to you all are:

Is this a throw away of build for a 5.0 if I'm not porting the head and adding all other fancy stroker options?

What could I expect for power on a 5.0 mild build and 91 octane (CO gas options, 5000ft elevation)?
Can I port matching the gasket myself, I feel capable if its not massively intensive?

I have a banks header and exhaust is all new. Beyond injectors, and throttle body, and LS valve springs, maybe bigger valves, I wouldn't plan on any other upgrades.
I need to take the block in for inspection to see what I'm working with.

I have forgotten a good deal of my research on these engines so I appreciate anything you can enlighten me to as to the notion of building a mild Clegg 5.0.

Even building around their crank im open to other part ideas to save cash.

Thank you
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Clegg 5.0 ?s

Post by Cheromaniac »

IMO, it's a bit of a waste to go to all the trouble of getting a 4.06" stroke crank, custom rods, and custom pistons to increase displacement to 5.0L if you're not going to take advantage of it by adding other mods (big valve ported head, performance camshaft, upgraded valve springs, port matched intake manifold, 70mm throttle body) to make it breathe.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Hydro.0 wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:39 pm
Is this a throw away of build for a 5.0 if I'm not porting the head and adding all other fancy stroker options?

What could I expect for power on a 5.0 mild build and 91 octane (CO gas options, 5000ft elevation)?
If you retain the stock fuel system and ECU, you can expect a HP gain of around 20 HP over the stock output. If you install a proper fuel system and ECU (or tune the stock ECU via HP Tuners) then have the Jeep tuned by a trusted tuner (you have tons of options in Colorado for tuners), you can double the stock output N/A. The 4" stroke is unnecessary regardless. Simply adding stroke without building the rest of the engine will result in underwhelming power and overwhelming stress in the cylinders. Aftermarket engine block manufacturers cast LS blocks specific for cranks with 4" or more of stroke. Stock blocks don't last more than a few pulls with 4" strokes due to the poor rod ratio and the amount of unsupported piston protruding from the bottom of the cylinder at bottom dead center. The 4" stroke crank isn't really an option.

You might want to focus on the classic 3.895" stroke crank, it works excellent. Focus on building a killer iron cylinder head. There are tons of options for valves, valve seats, springs, rocker arms and pushrods. Get a set of the classic forged 6.125" rods and set of custom 4032 Racetec pistons. Comp can cut whatever camshaft specs you want custom, they have cores in stock. Then give the fuel system, induction and tuning some thought. Any E85 in Colorado?
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

There is indeed 85 in colorado, isn't that for poorer performance? I wouldn't mind spending a little more for 91 if the power is there and the engine runs better.

I would also certainly plan on tuning the jeep, but I would like to use the stock pump and ecu, is this not sufficient for performance of a mild/mid build stroker? My jeep is a 99, all I know is I have 49psi to the rail, but I do not know what the current Bosch aftermarket pump is capable of.

Normally ( in terms of my lamen understanding) the 5.0 normally requires a large bore to the block resulting in a thinner more warpable and overheating potential to the block,no?

I was under the impression talking to Clegg that this isn't the same type of build for their 5.0. The pistons were made to accommodate not needing to overboard the block to the extreme side. Is this still going to over exert the block?

IF, I was to get the, Clegg stage 3 cam, or similar comp cam, port match the head, new springs and valves, injectors and 65+ mm throttle body, and getting an Hp tuners tune. Is this still lacking what the engine would need, beyond simply having what a 4.06 stroke crank would deliver for torque.
I am asking because the sales rep said a mild 5.0 build could touch 300+ hp/tq , iirc they said 300hp,350tq easily with only adding injectors and valves/ springs, every thing else stock. I will need to re clarify with them perhaps.

I suppose I was thinking this 4.06 crank with a good cam would produce considerably more power (tq) than the 3.895 and good cam.

I appologize for not being able to articulate these questions more clearly, there is very little information on anyone build their kit and I haven't come across too many 5.0 builds.

I'm not looking to build some race engine, the massive torque accessible from the 5.0 was very intriguing though.

Here is the other comp cam I was referring to:
CL68-239-4
Xtreme 4x4 X4262H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifter Kit
Lift: .493''/.512''
Duration: 262°/270°
Lobe Separation Angle: 111°
RPM Range: 1400-5700

On a side note, in addition to the usual potential machining to the block, the cylinders 1&6 would need clearance for rod bolts. Is this not a concern with the 3.895 crank?
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

Currently building with that second cam. Be ready for extra head machining
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

Machining valve Seats, or what else?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Your welcome to shoot me a email i’ll be happy to send out info and options on building a traditional 4.6/4.7 kit with upgrade options such as a LS valve ported cylinder head and matching intake.

I carry a piston that RaceTec makes for me with multiple dish volume choices. That way we can custom tailor the correct static compression ratio to optimize your recipe for high-altitude. Match it up with the correct camshaft that produces good manifold vacuum along with the right injector and you should have a solid plug and play Stroker build.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Hydro.0 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 9:04 pm There is indeed 85 in colorado, isn't that for poorer performance?
Hydro.0 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 9:04 pm I suppose I was thinking this 4.06 crank with a good cam would produce considerably more power (tq) than the 3.895 and good cam.
Take some time to do a bit of research before doing anything. Too many corrupted files in the noggin's hard drive.
Hydro.0
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Hydro.0 »

Fair enough, Ill start digging through the faq section again.