jeep zj stroker build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jacoby88
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: zj

jeep zj stroker build

Post by Jacoby88 »

So i have decided to build a stroker for my 95 zj with ax15.

Im looking for some guidance because i have a general idea of what i have to do to build the jeep however i dont know the small details i need for it to run as i want it to.

I am looking to go to a 4.6-4.7 liter stroker. Im not looking for crazy performance or anything special, reliability among everything else. I am also wanting to be able to run from regular gas to premium without the chance of predetonation.

The main confusion i am having revolves around compression ratio and if im going to bore the cylinders to .30 over or not. Again im going for compression ratio so i can still run regular gas.

Here are a list of parts i have for it right now:

-Block is from a 96zj

-Head is brand new with rods and rockers from a 95ZJ

-crank shaft is a scat series 9000 SCA-942010 with a 3.895in stroke https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...H ... -vCcQJRfyI

-pistons are for a 4.2l and are sealed power SLP-470AP 3.750in bore pistons https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-470ap

-i have 4 hole injectors and accel ignition system for spark and fuel that should work well

Parts i still need:

-cam shaft is brand new factory cam however im thinking about getting an aftermarket one that will mesh well with the new stroke. However i dont know which one i should get becasue again im not looking for anything crazy just something that will help with the stroke

-piston ring/seals: i will probably stick with the same sealed power brand so it will mesh well with the piston however i dont know what bore size to get especially if i bore .30 over or not.

-piston rods: i may use the factory rods out of the block however i dont mind getting new ones while i have it all apart just dont know what brand or choice will be good.

-bearing caps: i just need to know what a good brand to choose would be again nothing crazy just something i can rely on.

Any help or information would be great, and if there’s any vital info im missing just ask. Again my goal isn’t for some crazy monster just some good torque and power while being the most reliable.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Re: jeep zj stroker build

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Jacoby88 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:53 pm So i have decided to build a stroker for my 95 zj with ax15.
Why? Is there something wrong with the current motor?
Jacoby88 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:53 pm Im not looking for crazy performance or anything special. I am also wanting to be able to run from regular gas to premium without the chance of predetonation.
Again im going for compression ratio so i can still run regular gas.
You mean Preignition? Or Detonation?
Adding a little bit of stroke to the engine, while leaving everything else stock, results in stock power. Also, don't worry too much about compression ratio. When you have the Jeep tuned, the tuner will dial in the fuel and ignition tables to keep the engine safe regardless of fuel type and compression ratio. Under 10.0:1 is safe.
Jacoby88 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:53 pm -pistons are for a 4.2l and are sealed power SLP-470AP 3.750in bore pistons https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-470ap
Those pistons are for the wrong block and at least .145" too small for the 4.0 cylinders.

Jacoby88 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 2:53 pm Any help or information would be great, and if there’s any vital info im missing just ask. Again my goal isn’t for some crazy monster just some good torque and power while being the most reliable.
I would stick with the stock 4.0L engine unless your willing to add some compression, fuel, ignition timing, camshaft and cylinder head work.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

What he said.
However if you're set on building a 4.6L stroker, this is the route I suggest you take:

4.6L low-buck stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.030" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 18cc
9.6:1 CR
CompCams 68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Russ Pottenger ported HO 2.00"/1.55" 62cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines
268hp @ 4900rpm, 326lbft @ 3500rpm

I'd recommend you reach out to resident stroker guru Russ Pottenger for further advice and obtaining parts such as rods, pistons, camshaft/lifters, and timing set. If you like the idea of a ported head to add performance, he might be willing to take yours as a core exchange to reduce the cost.
You'll need to return the pistons you have to Summit Racing because they're for a 4.2L block and are 0.155" too small for a 0.030" overbored 4.0L block.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by len1xj »

I would agree with Cheromaniac almost 100%.
The 68-231-4 comp cam, 331 head, head work, pistons, rods, rings and 1 to 7 roller rockers all came from Russ. I tolled him what I was looking for in a 4.6 ( tuque starting off from idle to 2500, dropping off about 5000 or so) I am almost done with this build, I am hooking up the wiring harness now. I will be taking it to a tuner after 500 miles or so. I am expecting around 325 pick toque and maybe 225 in HP after tuning. to be sure this build was not cheep but then again I am retired and this is on my bucket list. every one is different in what they want in there build, this is only one way to go but what ever you want, Russ advise is in invaluable.
Good luck :rockout:
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by len1xj »

I forgot one thing. My 4.2 crank came from Russ and he balanced it too.
Jacoby88
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: zj

Post by Jacoby88 »

Sorry for not responding for so long. Work and life gets in the way a bit, but in the meantime I’ve been slowly acquiring more parts and trying to iron out my suspension and steering before i start adding more power.

Thanks for the responses so far again this is the first engine I will be building however i have all of the tools and assistance i would need to get this done. I just want to have a solid parts list before i get this underway.

Since my last post I’ve acquired roller rockers, high flow water pump and dual electric fans, plus some other goodies.

My current engine in my jeep has very bad blow by and i took a bore scope in the cylinders and two of them have some scoring and there’s so much crank pressure in the oil pan that oil is coming out of the dip stick tube. Figured i would replace the engine with a new unit and why not it be a stroker for really not that much more money.

I figured the pistons would cause some trouble but i found them in the budget section in summit racing for 60 bucks so i figured it was worth the gamble.

So far these are the parts i will need to get still
-piston rods from donor motor reconditioned
-a cam shaft of unknown kind (i feel like this would be the last thing i get considering i need pistons and haven’t decided on how much i want to bore out the engine still)
-gaskets but specifically head gasket with the correct thickness (again i want to see how much my block gets decked before)
-rod and crank bearings (i have no idea which ones i should get yet as well)

Again im fairly new to this but i have a friend who has a lot more experience with building engines i just dont want to bother him with asking him a million questions on what i should get, thus why im making this post lol.

Again thanks for the responses so far sorry for the late response i just need a solid parts list before i really starts tackling this build.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Jacoby,

It creates a little bit of a challenge when parts are previously purchased and in the end might not add up to being the most ideal recipe of parts for the intended outcome.

If you reach out to me directly i’ll be happy to go over the list of parts that you have already purchased and give you my advice while keeping it within your budget and performance objectives.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]