Donor motor for a '99 TJ stroker - first steps & guidance please!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bammo
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Donor motor for a '99 TJ stroker - first steps & guidance please!

Post by bammo »

Hi Guys,

I have a 99 TJ Auto (RHD) and have a hankering to put a stroker into it. Nothing wrong with the current motor but I am looking forward to the build process and getting just a touch more highway power than the stock has. Intent is to do a full ground-up rebuild on the stroker so its only really the block and head I need to match.

I have a mate with a couple of potential donor engines I can choose from: A 2002 out of a wreck and a low mile 1998.

I can have the '02 for beer money so leaning towards that but would welcome any opinions from the brains trust on whether its better to get the older block or the newer one in terms of a hassle free install into my '99? I have A/C and want to make sure that is transferrable across to the new motor. I'm also aware than the 02 has coil packs whereas my '99 is a distributor. Can I retrofit the distributor to the '02 block and thus keep my ECU intact or would I need to use the coil packs and go down the ECU path?

Obviously a lot of decisions to make in terms of which way the project goes but this is a fairly fundamental step right here and hence keen to get the right block to start with.

Pic for attention :)
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Donor motor for a '99 TJ stroker - first steps & guidance please!

Post by Cheromaniac »

Assuming both donor engines are from a TJ, you could either:

1. Use the '98 long block.
2. Use the '02 short block and bolt on your existing '99 head.

Your '99 distributor will bolt directly into the '02 block so you can keep your existing ignition system.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
bammo
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Donor motor for a '99 TJ stroker - first steps & guidance please!

Post by bammo »

Thanks @Cheromaniac - the 98 is complete and running so I reckon that's going to be the better option for me...