2000 4.0 build questions

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Cherokeefan1
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Xj

2000 4.0 build questions

Post by Cherokeefan1 »

New here and have some questions. I'm building a 4.0 for my girlfriends 2000 xj that I lifted from my totaled 91. Had the block bored, decked, etc... Trying to collect parts to finish, I will be assembling myself, I am a master level diesel tech so easy enough.

My first question is on cam, lifter, timing set selection. Was probably going to have the stock cam reground by a local cam grinder for a touch more duration or whatever they can do for a miniscule power bump, what should I be asking for spec wise?or should I just get a new stock Mopar cam, rock auto has one left. 1.7 roller rockers to gain some power vs custom grind cam? Thoughts? Not necessarily a daily driver except in winter(snow), tows a small tent trailer, and weekend light trails. Also, it seems that the hylift Johnson lifters are no more? Any clue where to find good quality reliable lifters? Same with timing chain, seems only a link belt style is available?

I found a used tupy 0331 head to replace the 0331 that was leaking coolant, didn't appear cracked, coolant was coming from the big core plugs but being a non tupy I pulled one from the junkyard. Had the tupy magged and surfaced, valves vacuum tested. Was planning very light port work for a gasket match and polish Chambers and debur. Or, I could pull my 7120? Off my 91. Only problem here is mating to the 2000 factory cast manifold. This is federal emissions so doesn't have the 2 baby cats. Thoughts on this?

I'm sure more questions to come. Like the machine shop just polished the crank so I'm assuming oil clearances are going to be on the loose side, I will mic them when I start going back together, if they are loose, will it need a high volume pump? They also didn't replace rod bolts like I asked before resizing and balancing, so I'm stuck with used 230k rod bolts unless I pay for another resize/balance job, and the pistons are already hung, so... I was not too happy. The machinist didn't seem concerned because it's not a race engine which is their main customer, not budget 4.0. although I'm almost 1500 into just the machine shop side, so not budget
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 2000 4.0 build questions

Post by Russ Pottenger »

You’re welcome to reach out to me directly I think I could help you with some of your parts.

I stock a late model thrust plate style cam that Comp Cams makes for stock valve spring applications.
I can also supply you with the Johnson A2011 Hylift lifters.

Shoot me a call or email and I’d be happy to fill in some of the parts in your stroker kit

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]