Looking to build a 4.6L blown....

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
DiegoR
Stroker Displacement: 4.0L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee X

Looking to build a 4.6L blown....

Post by DiegoR »

Not new to the XJ and my old (long gone) '87 with HO 4.0L was stroked to 4.6L (with long gone Acuurate Power kit, Venolia piston that slapped like (insert hrere you words) but survived racing it a lot.

Anyways, I'm back with a XJ 2001 (MT - AX15) and want to buy another spare 4.0L engine and work the stroker in that one. I do have on the shelf two 4.2L cranks so I would like to get forged 4.2L rods and not sure if forged pistons (my head says go with forged, low expansion alloy) or hyperateutic pistons as it wil lbe somewhat my daily driven truck.

It comes to my mind, what type of piston, besides the forged or Hypereutectic, the dome type or desing. In this case this will be a boosted (S/C) stroker, but I think best type of dome will be the deep dish pistons? As these KB Hypereutectic shown?

If I go with forged pistons, not sure what brand can do a nice custom made pistons?

I plan to stick with 8.8:1 CR, add NON adjustable HS rockers as I don't want to run valve cover spacers for my own reasons (plumbing etc) so I will have to do a bunch of measures to get the correct lenght of HD pushrods as I won't be able to adjust the HS rockers.
Is the JP double chaing timing sprocket any good?

For the camshaft not sure what route go, I know (or I do believe) I need to stick close to original camshaft (somethign among '91-'99 range) but not sure what model/brand would be a really good choice. I want to add the Edelbrock aluminum head, but seems is back ordered, and who knows when is going to be available so, in the meantime I get the donor engine, I might port-polish the stock head, but I don't really want to waste my time doing so.

With the stock engine at arround 120k miles with 180 PSI across all cylinders, is still a healthy engine, which will be the base for the S/C development while I do source and build another 4.0L engine to stroke it.

I will stick for now with the JTEC controller, with HP custom tune (too bad I can't add a 2 BAR sensor, because the ancient controller is very rudimentary so it will be have to be tuned as "N.A." which kinda sucks unless I go with open ECU like Link, Haltech etc. which I want to avoid.

Thoughts? recommendations are welcome :mrgreen:
Jeep Cherokee Classic 2001 AX-15 stock for now...
DiegoR

Re: Looking to build a 4.6L blown....

Post by DiegoR »

BTW...I just found my old two 4.2L cranks that I sotraged them back in 2008 or so....one got some rust though :( I will have to check both at the machine shop, to check the measures and if they are all straight like an arrow. Appears to be the long nose to be in better shape though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

DiegoR wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:33 pm Not new to the XJ and my old (long gone) '87 with HO 4.0L was stroked to 4.6L (with long gone Acuurate Power kit, Venolia piston that slapped like (insert hrere you words) but survived racing it a lot.

Anyways, I'm back with a XJ 2001 (MT - AX15) and want to buy another spare 4.0L engine and work the stroker in that one. I do have on the shelf two 4.2L cranks so I would like to get forged 4.2L rods and not sure if forged pistons (my head says go with forged, low expansion alloy) or hyperateutic pistons as it wil lbe somewhat my daily driven truck.

It comes to my mind, what type of piston, besides the forged or Hypereutectic, the dome type or desing. In this case this will be a boosted (S/C) stroker, but I think best type of dome will be the deep dish pistons? As these KB Hypereutectic shown?

If I go with forged pistons, not sure what brand can do a nice custom made pistons?

I plan to stick with 8.8:1 CR, add NON adjustable HS rockers as I don't want to run valve cover spacers for my own reasons (plumbing etc) so I will have to do a bunch of measures to get the correct lenght of HD pushrods as I won't be able to adjust the HS rockers.
Is the JP double chaing timing sprocket any good?

For the camshaft not sure what route go, I know (or I do believe) I need to stick close to original camshaft (somethign among '91-'99 range) but not sure what model/brand would be a really good choice. I want to add the Edelbrock aluminum head, but seems is back ordered, and who knows when is going to be available so, in the meantime I get the donor engine, I might port-polish the stock head, but I don't really want to waste my time doing so.

With the stock engine at arround 120k miles with 180 PSI across all cylinders, is still a healthy engine, which will be the base for the S/C development while I do source and build another 4.0L engine to stroke it.

I will stick for now with the JTEC controller, with HP custom tune (too bad I can't add a 2 BAR sensor, because the ancient controller is very rudimentary so it will be have to be tuned as "N.A." which kinda sucks unless I go with open ECU like Link, Haltech etc. which I want to avoid.
RaceTec does the most Jeep pistons. They have all of the dimensions on file, ready to machine. I'm sure Russ or Tieson from Clegg Engine could set you up with a nice set of 4032 forgings. You can get them with a dish as deep as you want, as well as with a slew of other options like skirt coatings and pin oilers. 4032 is a little softer, has a little more silicon and you can run a tighter piston to wall clearance. You won't have to worry about piston slap on a cold morning.

Comp is the place to go for Jeep cams. They have the cores ready to go for whatever grind you like. They also have a case hardening option. It's pulse plasma nitriding, it's the real deal, not snake oil. If you go to them direct for a custom grind, just expect to wait on hold for about 20 minutes.

Go through Titan Engine for your roller timing chain. They carry adjustable double rollers for both cam button and thrust plate style blocks. In stock, ready to go.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Feel free to reach out to me and I’ll be more than happy to set you up with a RaceTec piston made to the correct specifications for your application along with my bushed 6.125 steel connecting rods.

Would also be happy to provide you with pricing and information on my cylinder head and intake manifold porting services.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
DiegoR

Post by DiegoR »

Thanks for the info/input. Used in my old stroker a comp cams but it was made for "torque" I'm not sure what one woul dbe best for this combo though.

@Russ, I will email you. Thanks