Project preparation update

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Cam Hensley
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Project preparation update

Post by Cam Hensley »

I took the sound advice from a few members here and preparations for the stroker have been underway and going good. I have been addressing some electrical gremlins on my 02 TJ, which to me is an accomplishment in itself as I have always found electrical work intimidating. Armed with a 02 FSM pulled from another forum I was able to get rid of a wired rats nest, a hold over from the previous owner (pictured, if upload worked).It also solved an intermittent starting problem, as the rats nest was spliced into the yellow 14ga wire that runs from the ignition. I am by no means an electrician, but I do know what right looks like and that splice was, bad.

I touched bases with Russ and we talked some about parts, he seems like a good guy and very knowledgeable..I am looking forward to working with him and nailing down the build. Also picked up the 4.0 rebuild book by Larry Shepard to help me along.

I have been casually looking for a 02-06 4.0 donor locally and I must say, salvage yards are proud of their engines in my neck of the woods. Average is 1.2k-4k for one. I will start looking around Pensacola,FL to hopefully find a better deal because Jeeps are everywhere over there.

Coupe of Q's:
During cam break in, if you upgraded the header or exhaust line..is it wise to have the new exhaust system installed? I've read about glowing headers and melted cats during the break in.

Electric radiator fan(s): Preferred vendor? I have the 3550 5speed, going for a mild buck Stoker, I have since moved away from the low octane stroker idea when I initially started this endeavor.

That's all for me right now. Hope everyone has a cozy end of the year and thanks for the knowledge. Till next time

Cam
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Re: Project preparation update

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Cam Hensley wrote: December 27th, 2022, 5:18 pm Coupe of Q's:
During cam break in, if you upgraded the header or exhaust line..is it wise to have the new exhaust system installed? I've read about glowing headers and melted cats during the break in.

Electric radiator fan(s): Preferred vendor? I have the 3550 5speed, going for a mild buck Stoker, I have since moved away from the low octane stroker idea when I initially started this endeavor.
Both of your questions depend on how you plan to tune the engine. Standalone ECU? Stock ECU? Sniper EFI?

Did you mention that you're in Florida? That would be optimal. That is one of few states that allows basically anything in regard to street vehicle modifications.

Molten hot exhaust during break-in is caused by poor tuning. Usually a lack of ignition timing.

For an NA, light duty stroker with a stock computer, I would stay with the mechanical fan. Stick with the stock style radiator, stock mechanical fan, stock cooling system in it's entirety really. The power output won't be much more than the stock engine's output anyway. No reason to reengineer the engine bay.

If you plan on supporting the engine with the proper sized fuel pump/injectors as well as tune the engine for it's true potential, you would benefit from several cooling options. Things like a single 12" radiator fan plus 2 small fans, one for each fender. An engine oil cooler and a stand alone trans cooler with it's own fan. You might want to look at routing water inlets into the block between cylinders 4-5 and 5-6.
Cam Hensley
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Project preparation update

Post by Cam Hensley »

Standalone ECU? Stock ECU? Sniper EFI?
As far as tuning goes, I have not reached that subject yet in my research.