Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Cam Hensley
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Cam Hensley »

Hello all

I stumbled upon the stroker world a few weeks ago and got hooked. I have an 02 TJ with about 164k or so on the 4.0. I have owned this Jeep for about 8 years now, starting first with a fun 2.5 YJ. It wasn't until a friend of mine let me drive their 4.0 TJ that I realized I had been missing out on some fun for the years I owned the 2.5, which was sold to a couple that have taken very good care of it since.

The 4.0 I have now runs strong, have not had any major issues with it minus a blown head gasket that was completely my fault. Sent the head to a local machine shop to check it, once cleared I installed it over the weekend and have not had any issues since in the following years. This started my love affair with the 4.0.

I have been reading up on 4.0 rebuilds for a few months, which it doesn't need at the moment but it would be a possibility some time in the future and I wanted to be prepared. This lead me here.

I am excited to think of the possibility of having a 4.0 with a bit of a power boost, nothing fancy, no need to burn the tires off the rims-just a durable 4.0 with added power, preferably on lower octane. I look forward to the next chapter in my Jeep journey, along with some help from other Jeepers I hope to see my TJ on the road for another 20 years, albeit just a bit faster than the previous 20 =)
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Newbie

Post by Cheromaniac »

I suggest you find a complete and undamaged '02-'06 TJ 4.0 long block in a junkyard to use for your stroker build, and contact Russ Pottenger for the necessary parts.
You could click on the stroker recipes link in my sig. to get a general idea of what's possible. Naturally there are variations so you don't need to stick rigidly to those.
By slowly building a stroker engine on the side, you can continue running your existing engine until you're ready to perform the swap. After the swap, you could then either keep your existing engine as a spare or sell it on to recoup some cash.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Cam Hensley

Post by Cam Hensley »

Agreed on building one on the side,logical approach for my situation, and I will gain greater knowledge and confidence on the 4.0 when I get ready for the swap.I have been looking at your recipes and have changed my mind at least 20 times at which flavor of build I want to pursue :lol: . I fully intend to go to Russ when I am ready for that stage. Right now I am still gathering info so I have a better understanding of what I am doing. At the moment I am researching cooling and exhaust,most of that info is from your page and a nifty search function here. I think my plan of attack on this will be in two parts simultaneously. One will be the stroker side build, and the other will be installing the required components (radiator, upgraded exhaust system etc) on the Jeep with the current 4.0 to work out any gremlins should they arise. At first this project seemed daunting, after reading articles here I feel much more confident about it, so a thank you in advance is in order for those who have kindly shared their knowledge on the topic. Looking forward to the coming months and this chapter in my Jeep journey.
TJBUD
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by TJBUD »

Cam, I just finished my 4.7 build and install in September and I love it. Your approach seems logical. I did a similar approach-phase 1 included replacing many parts before pulling the motor to lower the risk of debugging too many things at stroker startup-especially things that impact the PCM. This included ignition with hotter coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, 63mm throttle body, MAP and IDLE control sensors. Ideally, any suspect electrical sensor should be fixed or replaced and proven before teardown. These parts were run 1000 mi with no trouble codes before I pulled the engine and rebuilt. I also primed the oil pump at full pressure and tested fuel pressure at the rail before turning the key—started right up after debugging a simple pcm ground. The goal is once you turn the key, get as quickly as you can to the 30 min cam break-in.

Some new parts like bigger injectors have to wait for the stroker startup because they won’t run the 4.0 pre-stroke motor well or at all.

…and there are lots of folks in this forum to help along the way-don’t hesitate :) I agree with all Cheromaniac’s comments-I used a lot of parts and advice from Russ P.
TJBUD
Cam Hensley

Post by Cam Hensley »

"Ideally, any suspect electrical sensor should be fixed or replaced and proven before teardown." This is the part that worries me the most as I am weak on my electrical knowledge. Good idea that you proposed to run them after replacement to make sure they are in sound working order. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum while researching an inevitable rebuild, and I admire the folks who were in my shoes at this point and now have a 4.6L. It's been an interesting ride so far just trying to convince the wife this is a good move :lol:, but she's on board now :cheers: