Cam upgrade and conversion for stroker build with thrust plate

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
kuleinc
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Cam upgrade and conversion for stroker build with thrust plate

Post by kuleinc »

I was wondering if anyone has a cam suggestion for a 4.7L stroker build. I am looking to upgrade my 1998 engine to the thrust plate style came retention to avoid cam walk. I assume I need a certain cam, the thrust plate, and some drilling and tapping on the front of the block?

I was looking at a comp cams 68-232-4 for my build, but I doubt this would work with the thrust plate retention? My engine is stock and currently has the spring for cam walk avoidance.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!

Re: Cam upgrade and conversion for stroker build with thrust plate

Post by Randy Bobandi »

kuleinc wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:28 pm I was wondering if anyone has a cam suggestion for a 4.7L stroker build. I am looking to upgrade my 1998 engine to the thrust plate style came retention to avoid cam walk. I assume I need a certain cam, the thrust plate, and some drilling and tapping on the front of the block?
The 99-06 blocks have bolt bosses and machined surface for the thrust plate. You would be drilling and tapping some pretty uneven surfaces. I can't confirm if the dimensions as far as thrust would be compatible either.

The upgrade for other engines that use a thrust button in the camshaft is to install a thrust button in the timing cover. On this engine, you would install a rivnut in timing cover and use a hex drive spring plunger and jam nut to set the thrust. You would have a bolt in the camshaft that has a smooth flat surface on the head for the button to ride on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

Where do we get this upgraded thrust button kit? Can it be used with a came meant for the older plunger and spring? Is there a how to thread for this?
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

Randy Bobandi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm
kuleinc wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:28 pm I was wondering if anyone has a cam suggestion for a 4.7L stroker build. I am looking to upgrade my 1998 engine to the thrust plate style came retention to avoid cam walk. I assume I need a certain cam, the thrust plate, and some drilling and tapping on the front of the block?
The 99-06 blocks have bolt bosses and machined surface for the thrust plate. You would be drilling and tapping some pretty uneven surfaces. I can't confirm if the dimensions as far as thrust would be compatible either.

The upgrade for other engines that use a thrust button in the camshaft is to install a thrust button in the timing cover. On this engine, you would install a rivnut in timing cover and use a hex drive spring plunger and jam nut to set the thrust. You would have a bolt in the camshaft that has a smooth flat surface on the head for the button to ride on.
I got it now! Did you also put some rivets there to help hold the riv-nut? Is there a good place to buy the right nut? I have a riv-nut riveter.... Use them a lot in my aluminum step van.
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

It's a screw mount nut. These are the parts from Mcmaster-Carr. I used a little RTV when riveting in the screw mount nut. A traditional rivet nut would work as well. The screw mount nut just has a better surface to torque the jam nut. Or if you weld aluminum, you could just weld in a bung.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

Thank you so much! Where do you check the cam thrust after the timing cover is installed with this?
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by GreenYJ »

At the rear of the cam with a dial indicator before you install the rear cam plug.
1994 Sahara YJ
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

kuleinc wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:53 am Thank you so much! Where do you check the cam thrust after the timing cover is installed with this?
The kits that use this style of cam button come with a two piece timing cover to check the end play. For this setup, you could drill and tap the cover or add a rivnut to the cover to use as a port for the dial indicator. Then thread in a set screw or a plug when finished. I'm using a 1/2-13 spring plunger which is .077" per thread or .0096" per 8th turn. I just turned it in all the way and brought it back out a 1/4-1/8 turn. The spring plunger keeps a few PSI of load on the cam making sharp changes in thrust impossible. I think I went with 5901A37 at Mcmaster-Carr for the plunger. It has a 440 stainless nose which is super wear resistant material.
kuleinc

Post by kuleinc »

5901A37 has a ball on the tip as opposed to a pin? Are you sure that's the one you used? I would think the plunger would work better, but would deffer to your knowledge here...
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

kuleinc wrote: December 11th, 2022, 9:09 pm 5901A37 has a ball on the tip as opposed to a pin? Are you sure that's the one you used? I would think the plunger would work better, but would deffer to your knowledge here...
Either one is fine. I ended up going with the ball tip because the ball is made from a harder material. Just make sure you use a high quality bolt for the cam that has a smooth surface on the head. I like the ARP 450 extreme-strength stainless.
SoCal Berto
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by SoCal Berto »

Randy Bobandi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Yhis is an old post but hopefully this will help others avoid the nightmare I went through. I had a stroker built when I grenaded the engine. The builder installed a cam inteded for a non-efi engine because of the low end thump it provided. This cam would not work with a thrust plate so it had been left off. The cam wiped a lobe on break in. Comp provided a replacement and it wiped out on break in as well. I did some research and learned that some 4.2 litter engines used a special cam bolt that is center drilled and have a spring and metal button that pushes against the timing cover to keep the cam in place. I ordered the special cam bolt and a third cam. This time the break in worked and continues to run great. Special cam bolt, that is the answer. I them went and shared that info with the engine builder.