5.0L Clegg Stroker in my future... anyone else have one?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Draginknee
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

5.0L Clegg Stroker in my future... anyone else have one?

Post by Draginknee »

Hello all. I tried to jump on the FB page as well, even though I wasn't sure if it was associated... I have a 5-speed 97' XJ, I live in the tri-state area of TN/NC/GA in the "east hills" for you real western mountain people. I am about to pull the trigger on a Clegg stage 3 5.0L stroker build as the motor (well, the actual internals) is the only thing I haven't modified on my XJ since I got it 4yrs ago. In talking back and forth with Clegg, they told me that they have sold 70+ of these stroker kits and haven't gotten any negative feedback on them yet. I was hoping I would find someone on here that has done one, as I didn't find much google searching reviews.

Going with their stage 2 cam, and stage 3 headwork as well, with all the upgraded goodies. It appealed to me for the extra torque, as I pull a pair of jetskis, and a lifted off-road trailer that I built last year a lot, so between that and wheeling it sounded like a good option. I don't plan on ever doing forced induction in the future. I am hoping to run it on pump 87, but if I have to run it on 89 or 93 I can, as it's not a daily driver, just a fun weekend/vacation warrior. Mostly I have been reading and researching a lot. Will probably solidify this choice in the next month or so and get started. Any related experience to Clegg, and their stage 3 5.0L stroker kit is welcome. They've been around for quite a long time it seems. Thanks!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: 5.0L Clegg Stroker in my future... anyone else have one?

Post by Cheromaniac »

That looks like a pretty decent kit since it includes an Eagle 4.06" stroke crank, Scat forged rods, and custom forged pistons with a 9.5:1 CR.
The supplied 24lb injectors are probably too small given that this stroker has 300+hp potential.

https://www.cleggengine.com/jeep-stroke ... -1c-r.html
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Draginknee wrote: December 1st, 2022, 9:07 am I am about to pull the trigger on a Clegg stage 3 5.0L stroker build
How will you be tuning this monster? What fuel pump & injectors are you planning on running?

87 octane wouldn't make any sense at all. You might as well stick with the stock motor if you want to use 87.
Draginknee

Post by Draginknee »

Cheromaniac wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:33 pm That looks like a pretty decent kit since it includes an Eagle 4.06" stroke crank, Scat forged rods, and custom forged pistons with a 9.5:1 CR.
The supplied 24lb injectors are probably too small given that this stroker has 300+hp potential.

https://www.cleggengine.com/jeep-stroke ... -1c-r.html
Those were my thoughts as well. I'm thinking 30lb injectors.
Draginknee

Post by Draginknee »

Randy Bobandi wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 12:50 pm
Draginknee wrote: December 1st, 2022, 9:07 am I am about to pull the trigger on a Clegg stage 3 5.0L stroker build
How will you be tuning this monster? What fuel pump & injectors are you planning on running?

87 octane wouldn't make any sense at all. You might as well stick with the stock motor if you want to use 87.
Tuning will be done on a Dyno, I have yet to pick a tuner, but I have a friend who's been tuning for a long time that can do a remote tune if necessary. Will run a Walbro fuel pump if it needs it. I don't HAVE to run 87, but I'd like to be able to. Sometimes it's hard to find good fuel out in the middle of nowhere... and I need to plan for that one way or another.
Randy Bobandi

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Draginknee wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:57 am
Will run a Walbro fuel pump if it needs it. I don't HAVE to run 87, but I'd like to be able to. Sometimes it's hard to find good fuel out in the middle of nowhere..
255 LPH fuel pump minimum. That would cover you for E85 as well if naturally aspirated. Why would you like to be able to run 87? I don't get it. Is it a cost thing? Isn't it only a $0.75 difference per gallon between 87 and 93? $10 per fill for 50 horsepower, yes please. A low octane stroker doesn't make any sense. It's like a fat free porterhouse. What are we even talkin about.

You're actually in one of the most optimal parts of the country for high octane fuels and racing engines in general. There are many states that don't have a single gas station with an E85 pump. Tennessee has tons, Georgia has tons and North Carolina has them as well. Heck, even FuelTech USA is in North Georgia. You're in a great spot to build a serious ripper.
Draginknee

Post by Draginknee »

Randy Bobandi wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:44 am
Will run a Walbro fuel pump if it needs it. I don't HAVE to run 87, but I'd like to be able to. Sometimes it's hard to find good fuel out in the middle of nowhere..
255 LPH fuel pump minimum. That would cover you for E85 as well if naturally aspirated. Why would you like to be able to run 87? I don't get it. Is it a cost thing? Isn't it only a $0.75 difference per gallon between 87 and 93? $10 per fill for 50 horsepower, yes please. A low octane stroker doesn't make any sense. It's like a fat free porterhouse. What are we even talkin about.

You're actually in one of the most optimal parts of the country for high octane fuels and racing engines in general. There are many states that don't have a single gas station with an E85 pump. Tennessee has tons, Georgia has tons and North Carolina has them as well. Heck, even FuelTech USA is in North Georgia. You're in a great spot to build a serious ripper.
I actually don't have E85 where I live... I can travel for it, but what's the point. 93 is fine, BUT AGAIN, this is an off-road and overloading vehicle. I don't want to worry about getting a niche fuel no matter where in the country or boonies I am. I'm not concerned about HP, I'm concerned about longevity and torque.

Now. Is there anyone with some experience with this particular stroker? I know there is a lot that determines fuel grade with compression, but I'm more interested in finding someone with this kit and seeing what their setup is, and some feedback.
Brianj5600
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Brianj5600 »

Randy Bobandi wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:44 am

50 horsepower?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

That's an exaggeration, but it doesn't make any sense to build a high performance stroker and then run it on catpiss.
Brianj5600
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Brianj5600 »

All I want is to have enough power to keep up with traffic in the hills of TN. My TJ with big tires, lift and stock 4.0 is underpowered in stock form especially with a 42rle. I think I'll be fine on 87.
Draginknee

Post by Draginknee »

Brianj5600 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 12:47 pm All I want is to have enough power to keep up with traffic in the hills of TN. My TJ with big tires, lift and stock 4.0 is underpowered in stock form especially with a 42rle. I think I'll be fine on 87.
It's this on climbs on the highway, and when towing that I have an issue, and I don't want to gear the crap out of it and not be able to do over 50 without it screaming. Torque, build quality for longevity, and as good of fuel economy as I can get are what I'd like. I've got a 600hp V10 and motorcycles to go fast in/on. I'm looking at how I can get the CR down low enough to make it comfortable on 87. I can always use better fuel when it's available. I'll be running my stock AX-15 with 4.10 gears and 35s/37s.
bigbirdxj
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by bigbirdxj »

Draginknee, looking for the same outcome on my end. More power for cruising long pulls on the highway but keep pump gas and low end off road torque. Talk to Russ Pottenger at Bishop-Buhl Racing. He did me right polishing up my 4.2 crank, punched the holes over 60, set me up with Scat rods, custom Auto Tech pistons, custom Comp Cams grind and a nice port job. He had them all on hand to ship. It was a whole lot less than that Clegg set up you're looking at, but of course you have to source a crank. He probably has that too. I'll be assembling mine over Christmas. You can look him up on here.

Cheers
Pappy
Korn Garage
D'sJeepWrld
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: LJ

Post by D'sJeepWrld »

Hey y'all i know this thread is a little dry but can anyone here inform me on why i shouldn't get the 5.0 kit ?
My intentions with it it is to reach 6 or maybe 6.5k Rpm at most and it'll see that RPM everyday since my Lj is my daily and i drive it 92ish miles a day to and from work and i love hooning around donuts/drifting and rock crawling ofcourse but alot of the times im hooning around. With that said my jeep has 223k miles on it 30k of those were pure abuse and dailying and im in need of a rebuild,she still rips but i need to chill out since i can hear my piston slapping around! Chunks came out the other day when i did my oil change so yeah.....a rebuild is needed but i need help deciding either 4.6/7 or a 5.0

As well what would be the reliability be like on the engine with it being undersquare since my bore would be .30 over (3.905) and the the stroke being 4.060 ? would it easily last 100k miles ? would it like boost compared to a 4.6/7 since thats what i plan to do later down the road but ill keep it N/a since im in need of a rebuild within a few months heck i might chuck a 100 shot of nitrous since i got a new bottle laying around😆

im not too concerned about what octane fuel since im expecting it to need 89/93 since those are my options here in Texas ! The cleggs kit has 9.5:1 comp. ratio so if i wanted too i could possibly tune it for 87 if needed but i dont see myself doing that since i like Hp :D !

What lift cam would y'all recommend for a 5.0 or 4.6 stroker ? I have a clearwater head with LS valves on my current motor as well its cammed but i was thinking about doing a bowl blend in which dont know how to do but ill find out here on the forum or if someone could direct me to a link that would be great ! Id like to do some portwork to help this stroker breathe but yeah guys if i could have some useful input it would be greatly appreciated :D
And excuse me if im all over the place y'all !
-Dylan :D
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

If you're planning to rev your stroker past 6000rpm, you'd better stick to the standard 3.895" stroke of the 258 crankshaft. A 4.06" stroke would increase the mean piston speed to ~4000ft/min at 6000rpm and increase the chance of a catastrophic engine failure.
D'sJeepWrld
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: LJ

Post by D'sJeepWrld »

Cheromaniac wrote: March 1st, 2024, 10:52 pm If you're planning to rev your stroker past 6000rpm, you'd better stick to the standard 3.895" stroke of the 258 crankshaft. A 4.06" stroke would increase the mean piston speed to ~4000ft/min at 6000rpm and increase the chance of a catastrophic engine failure.
Gotcha man i appreciate the info on that sir !
Been thinking about doing a hot little 4.0 over a 4.6, since i got plans about a turbo from a guy in plano that has a shop,but as soon as im done with my motor i will be using a wet nitrous setup for my daily driven LJ but i wont be using the Nitrous daily though :lol:
Long story short he's sticking with 4.0s over the strokers since they have been problematic and for me in my case since im kinda broke so id like to spend the money that i would otherwise spend on a crank and rather use that money for a nice cam setup from newcomer racing that being the NR-128-HFT (228/228 113 .509"/.509") cam ! or i was also thinking about using this cam as well NR-124-HFT (214/214 113 .478"/.478")

I was thinking about using their NR-128HFT cam since i do plan on utilizing their ATI Super damper balancer setup so id feel "safer" about hanging on for minutes/tens of min.s at 6200-6400 rpms,and overall id like to utilize a cam that can give more power uptop

i do want to build a stroker since im "Already there" but i got a whole engine laying around and i could reutilize the stock crank and do a rebuild but im kinda stuck in the middle,what would be the more reliable route for a daily ? a built 4.0 or a 4.6 both of them with intentions of being boosted ?

I know this is offtopic but the LS guys like the little 4.8s since they take boost no problem compared to a 6.0 for example ! Those thoughts are stuck with me ! And now that i think about the its probably due to piston speed......as you mentioned