4.6 stroker build timing issue

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Bluepearlxj
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

4.6 stroker build timing issue

Post by Bluepearlxj »

i've got a 2000 Cherokee with federal emmissions+ that i assembled a 4.6 stroker for. i got with Russ, he specd the parts and sold them to me. the issue I'm having is quite odd. it will crank over but will not fire, it will backfire out the intake and stop dead. i have 160-170 psi across all 6 cylinders, i have verified that I have adequate fuel pressure, I have verified that the timing chain was installed correctly and the dots line up. and i have verified that the cam sensor is installed at TDC #1 with the mark on the balancer at 0 degrees while a toothpick is pinning the reluctor in place.

i can see cam and crank signal with my scan tool, and I have verified that each injector pulses with a noid light. the coils are also firing, i have good spark and have verified that each of the three coils are being fired at the connector. it really seems like a timing issue but i'm not sure what to do since everything is done in the computer.

I'm using the comp cams 163-301-5 camshaft in conjunction with Russ's ported iron Promax head
The rotating assembly is made up of Russ's pistons, scat rods, and a 3.895 crank.

any input would be greatly appreciated
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: 4.6 stroker build timing issue

Post by IH 392 »

Sounds like the distributor is 180 out?, pull the #1 plug and confirm it's on the compression stroke and not overlap.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Bluepearlxj
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 stroker build timing issue

Post by Bluepearlxj »

it does not have a distributor. it is coil-on plug, so there is just a drive with a cam sensor on it. but yes i have verified tdc #1 at least twice now, mark on the balancer is at 0 degrees and the piston is at the top of its compression stroke while rotating the engine clockwise