1998 jeep xj 4.6 timing with #1 piston

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

1998 jeep xj 4.6 timing with #1 piston

Post by len1xj »

I just built this 4.6 stroker and I have been putting it all back together. I just wanted to check this out with u guys making sure I am not going to make a mistake.
I have the timing gear marks lined up each other, both #1 and 2 exhaust and intake valves are closed. this should be TDC for #1 power stroke. #1 on my distributor is at 4 o-clock. it should be ready to fire up.
I hope I am right but if I am wrong, I figured this was the place to go to find the right answer.
I spent to much time and money to make a mistake.
thank you in advance :cheers:
mpgMike
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: 1998 jeep xj 4.6 timing with #1 piston

Post by mpgMike »

Sounds good so far. Have you tried to start it? Be sure to prime the oil pump before starting it so you have near instant pressure. Run the engine at around 2500 RPM for at least 20 minutes to break in the cam. Also, make sure you have ZDDP/Zinc Oxide additive in the oil to keep the cam alive those first 20 minutes. Other than that, good luck!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

len1xj wrote: October 18th, 2022, 1:17 pm I just built this 4.6 stroker and I have been putting it all back together. I just wanted to check this out with u guys making sure I am not going to make a mistake.
I have the timing gear marks lined up each other, both #1 and 2 exhaust and intake valves are closed. this should be TDC for #1 power stroke. #1 on my distributor is at 4 o-clock. it should be ready to fire up.
I hope I am right but if I am wrong, I figured this was the place to go to find the right answer.
I spent to much time and money to make a mistake.
thank you in advance :cheers:
If the no.1 piston is at TDC on the end of the compression stroke (both valves closed), the no.6 piston should also be at TDC but at the end of the exhaust stroke (both valves open). The rotor should be roughly at 5 o clock when viewed from the passenger side if the distributor is clocked correctly.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by len1xj »

Thanks guys. That helps me a lot :P
TJBUD
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by TJBUD »

I just finished building, installing and starting my 98 wrangler 4.7 stroker last month. What I learned is when the crank & cam sprocket timing marks point at each other, crank up, cam sprocket down, the engine is #1 TDC beginning intake stroke, #6 TDC firing beginning power stroke.
When both marks point up it is #1 firing beginning power stroke-this is when I placed the distributor rotor pointing just clockwise of #1 (slightly advanced). Mine started first try after chasing a bad ground.

Good luck. If you PM your cell # or email to me I have pictures of the timing marks and rotor.
TJBUD
TJBUD
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by TJBUD »

..also, you didn’t ask but this may complete the picture of cam to crank timing for you or others:
When both timing marks point up and #1 is TDC firing, both valves are closed and this is where #1 rocker arms are adjusted and pushrods measured.
For each 120 degrees the crank is turned clockwise, you sequence to the next cylinder in the firing order-
120 is #5
240 is #3
360 is #6
480 is #2
600 is #4
720 is back to #1.
I marked my dampner with tape at 120 and 240 to make this easy.

When the timing marks point at each other and #1 is TDC starting the intake, this is where a degree wheel is zeroed. Then when you rotate clockwise you reach intake centerline near 105-115 degrees.

This all took me a while after 25 years since last cam setup.
TJBUD
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by len1xj »

WOW sounds more complicated then I thought but I am Shure when I get in to it it will not be. just now butting my rocker arms on. :)
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

len1xj wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:05 pm WOW sounds more complicated then I thought but I am Shure when I get in to it it will not be. just now butting my rocker arms on. :)
• Adjust the “Exhaust” valve after the intake valve is fully open and just starting to close.

• Adjust the “Intake” valve when the exhaust valve just starts to open.

I find this to be the simplest method.