Stroker Starts, Dies

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
chasetaber9
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee X

Stroker Starts, Dies

Post by chasetaber9 »

Okay guys I’ve been searching for answers for months hoping someone out there knows something to save me.

Dropped a Stroker build in my 96 xj in January. Had some ignition problems which turned out to be a ground in the cab, fixed that. When I put the motor in, it ran and I even backed it out of the shop. Then while doing the break-in procedure recommended by ATK (2000-2500 rpm for 30min) it died and wouldn’t start again. Started down the rabbit hole of a fuel problem. Tested fuel pressure and I had adequate pressure but it bled off fairly fast. 15 psi over 2 minutes. So I replaced my pump, figuring bad check valve. Still wouldn’t start. It was sputtering a bit and backfiring out the throttle body so my buddy suggested I re-check the distributor. The mounting bracket on the distributor was cracked and turns out it was moving so I replaced it.

After replacing the distributor, the Jeep started right up. Backed it out of the shop again and did 2 rounds of the break-in. Ran it at about 2200 rpm for 30min, let it come to an idle before turning it off for 2+ hours and then another round. Then I intended to drive the Jeep home but I found myself unable to shift gears. I had replaced the clutch and transmission fluid. (LUK clutch, ax-15 manual trans.) it was late at night so I called it and went home.

The next day I went to pull the Jeep back into the shop to bleed the clutch which is what the old interweb lead me to believe was my shifting problem and what do you know it won’t start. I’m thinking maybe a ground issue or some other sort of electrical problem given that it ran for an hour plus.

Any insight greatly appreciated