Slow start

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Krat0s
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Slow start

Post by Krat0s »

Got a couple questions for you guys. A few months ago I finished up my build and installed the stroker. It performs great with zero issues except for this one small thing. Every single cold start since installing the stroker it seems to only start and run on a couple cylinders for about 5-10 seconds before all of them light up. This is paired with a longer than normal cranking time. (Longer cranking time than pre stroker) . I’ve got zero check engine lights when this happens and the only reason I think it’s a miss fire is because it will shake violently and sounds like an air compressor until it stops shaking and sounds like a normal happy engine. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I’m assuming this is tune related and can possibly get worked out with a reflash. Unless there’s some hardware somewhere that can cause this issue that I’m missing. Hopefully you guys can provide me with some insight
Im wondering if there’s some clues I should be looking for in the live data that could tell me if this truly is tune related. Or if this sounds more like weak spark or something. Im working on getting a wide band O2 so hopefully that should help shed some light on my issue.

Build sheet for those curious.
2000 Jeep XJ 4.6L
8.8 ish SCR
Comp 68-200-4
24ib Ford injectors
27CC dish 4032 forged pistons
Stock tune and stock fuel pump
Pro maxx head
Champion colder than stock plugs
Scorpion roller rockers
I’m sure there’s more in missing.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Slow start

Post by Cheromaniac »

The colder spark plugs won't be doing you any favours, and there's no reason for running them on a low compression N/A engine. I'd swap in a set of stock Champions.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Torqsplit
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Slow start

Post by Torqsplit »

Totally agree with the plug change. Also probly the easiest and cheapest thing to verify 1st. Pull a couple and see what they look like. Colder plugs, in my experience, don't recover very well if they become even slightly fouled. They'll will cause what you're experiencing until they generate enough heat in the chamber to finally clear up and fire. In many cases you only get away with that scenario a few times and then they're just done. Other things to maybe check afterwards, if that doesn't cure it for you. Let us know 👍