76 Gremlin Stroker?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Drooque

76 Gremlin Stroker?

Post by Drooque »

Hello; New Member; First Post.
I have a 76 Gremlin with a 258. It is partially restored, runs and drives pretty good. My end goal for it is to have a car I can drive around town whenever, take to car shows, and occasionally run at the 1/8 mile drag strip about 30 miles away. I've had it in my head that an EFI Stroker would be a great way to go.
I now have a line on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0l and 2WD. It is wrecked, air bags deployed, but runs and drives.
1. Is there any reason I would not get this Jeep for this project?
2. Am I dreaming to think I could build the stroker from the two engines and swap engine, trans, wiring harness, maybe more from Jeep?
3. What else should I be looking for and planning?
Thank You so much in advance.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 76 Gremlin Stroker?

Post by Cheromaniac »

A complete 2004 WJ would be a great find 'cause it'll have all the parts you'll need for your project, and you could use the crank from your 258 to build the 4.0 into a stroker.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Drooque

Post by Drooque »

Thanks for the quick response.
So, I've been reading a bunch and learning, but I have no idea how much I want to build up this stroker.
How far can I go before I need a tuning? Is there affordable options to do the tuning myself (like the idea of being able to change things for strip)?
Is there any sense in getting an edelbrock head if only going with budget items otherwise?
Honestly, I can see myself going anywhere from the "Original "poor man's" stroker" to the "high-buck stroker".
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

My recommendation would be to build a modified poor man's stroker to keep things simple and inexpensive.

4.6L Modified "poor man's" stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.020" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 26cc
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
DIY ported HO 1.91"/1.50" 57cc cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Bosch 0280155703 injectors for '96-'04 engines
245hp @ 4700rpm, 315lbft @ 3000rpm ('96-'04 camshaft)
Drooque

Post by Drooque »

I apologize for the continued questions when I am in such early stages of planning. The most pressing thing for me right now is whether to purchase this 04 jeep or not. I spent a couple hours reading up on tuning and like the idea of hptuners, but It looks like it is only supported up to 2001. Should I hold out until I find a 99 or such? What would be the best donor year?

I should have mentioned that I live at 5500 ft elevation, and race at 5300. I do have time before I need the 4.0 because I need to finish our Retromod Javelin first, hopefully done by mid summer.

For the record, I am sure I will put headers on the stroker, do port work on head and intake, bigger throttle body, fabricate CAI. And there is a chance I might throw nitrous at it now and then (I have a few kits lying around).
Thanks