Advice on First Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Aureus
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Advice on First Stroker

Post by Aureus »

Hello!

I have a 98 XJ that I have torn down for a rebuild. Figured now is as good a time as any to consider a stroker build.

The bottom end is currently stock, however the head is not.

A couple months ago I talked with Russ Pottenger about some difficulties I had with putting a COMP Cams camshaft in, which led to him putting some parts together for me. I ended up with a Clearwater head, as mine was found to be cracked, with LS1 valves and valve springs. As well as the associated machining to get those parts to fit. Long story short, my cam wiped out during the initial break in process. Luckily though comp will be sending me out a new one.

But, I figured it would be a good idea to tear the engine down and go ahead and give it a full recondition and rebuild.

My current plans are to bore it 30 over and obviously get new pistons. Since I’m already doing a rebuild, I’m highly interested in potentially building it into a stroker as well.

So here is where I am now. Ideally, I want to still run 87, and the vehicle is a daily so it needs to be reliable.

Please spare no advice, I want to make sure I do this right. And thank you in advance!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: Advice on First Stroker

Post by Cheromaniac »

I think you know what you need to do already. Russ can provide you with the Scat stroker crank, 4.0L rods, and custom pistons you'll need to rebuild the short block into a stroker.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Aureus

Post by Aureus »

Figured Russ would be the guy to talk to about this. Would you happen to know about what that would cost? I’ll ask Russ but I was just curious.
len1xj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by len1xj »

I have worked with Russ on my 1998 xj 4.6 stoker. I got the crank, polished and ported 331 heads, rods, pistons, all my parts came from him. I now have a very strong and very smooth 4.6. I worked with a local tuner on a dyno and got even more usable power. the engine puts out 275 hp and 335 foot lbs. the torque starts at 800 with a steady climbing to 3000. the torque flattens out there all the way to 5500 rpm's. this is where it falls off.
this is a daily driver, tow, camping, and wheeling. a do all everything jeep and it does everything well, except really big rocks. I am running 9.5 to 1 compression using 87 octane gas, and so far I am getting 23 MPG on the highway and 20 in town. I only have 5000 miles on it so I expect it will get better.
tuning helped a lot in making this jeep come alive but the tuner can only work with what he has. Russ help me put it all together . with out him I think I would not have a good of a jeep as I now have. this thing is a monster that is very smooth and controllable. Russ also balanced the crank witch helped a lot it the smoothness. Thank you Russ
P.S. I also put on a 1999 intake manifold . for all that are reading this. do not waste you money and time putting on just the intake. it will not do much. It is only one part of a total build and it does help a lot but not by it self. think, breath in, breath out.

You asked about cost. with everything, Russ, tuner and odds and ends the engine is about 4500. a little expensive but I did go over board on some things. You can get the cost down and russ can also help advise you where to put your money. the most bang for the buck.
I hope this helps.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

len1xj wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 9:55 pm I have worked with Russ on my 1998 xj 4.6 stoker. I got the crank, polished and ported 331 heads, rods, pistons, all my parts came from him. I now have a very strong and very smooth 4.6. I worked with a local tuner on a dyno and got even more usable power. the engine puts out 275 hp and 335 foot lbs. the torque starts at 800 with a steady climbing to 3000. the torque flattens out there all the way to 5500 rpm's. this is where it falls off.
this is a daily driver, tow, camping, and wheeling. a do all everything jeep and it does everything well, except really big rocks. I am running 9.5 to 1 compression using 87 octane gas, and so far I am getting 23 MPG on the highway and 20 in town. I only have 5000 miles on it so I expect it will get better.
tuning helped a lot in making this jeep come alive but the tuner can only work with what he has. Russ help me put it all together . with out him I think I would not have a good of a jeep as I now have. this thing is a monster that is very smooth and controllable. Russ also balanced the crank witch helped a lot it the smoothness. Thank you Russ
P.S. I also put on a 1999 intake manifold . for all that are reading this. do not waste you money and time putting on just the intake. it will not do much. It is only one part of a total build and it does help a lot but not by it self. think, breath in, breath out.

You asked about cost. with everything, Russ, tuner and odds and ends the engine is about 4500. a little expensive but I did go over board on some things. You can get the cost down and russ can also help advise you where to put your money. the most bang for the buck.
I hope this helps.
I have to agree with this post. Russ will point you in the right direction.

My 4.7 was built using the parts from Russ, combined with a 1993 XJ 4.0 block and a 0630 head, I believe a 1996 maybe. I used a 4 CW 258 crankshaft. My engine harness is from a 1995 XJ auto, as is the ECM & PCM. I told Russ I was going to port the head and try for the most power and still run on 87 octane gasoline. I build the custom 2.5” exhaust from the Banks SS header through the Hi flow cat & muffler, all the way to the tail pipe, everything is 2.5”.

It runs excellent in my 1985 CJ-7 TF-999 (automatic) with 273 gears on 31” A/T tires. This little inline six engine exceeded my expectations. I spent about $3K on engine parts, and about $1K on parts required to make it work in my CJ-7, some of these parts weren’t necessarily needed, but I wanted a trouble free vehicle after the swap, and that’s what I got. In total, I spent about $4K on my engine swap. I sold my 258 for $1K, so that helped offset the cost. This engine has completely changed the way my Jeep runs & drives.

The only area where my engine lacks is in fuel economy. I get 15 MPG, as I did with the old 258. I am considering taking it to the local chassis dyno for some tuning. I have little experience with these 4.0 inline six engines, so maybe the folks at the tuning shop can help me find what I am missing.
73495C6D-4DCE-4674-9DB8-6E04CA5C7FD2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.