Help Choosing Pistons and CR

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Billygoat
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Help Choosing Pistons and CR

Post by Billygoat »

I’m building a stroker that I want to be very manageable on the street, quiet, reliable, and run on regular 87 octane (which is actually 85 here since I’m at high altitude). I’m using a 1994 OBD I EFI system with oem 1994 ECU but the engine/block is out of a 1998. I plan to use Scat 4.0L forged rods.

I got excited when I saw that KB makes a hypereutectic stroker piston (KB424C) but was disappointed to see that it has a circular dish with no squish pad. Are there any other pistons I should look at for running the 4.0L rods that won’t be noisy or get blow by during warmup? It gets very cold here in the winter and it can take 15-20 minutes for an engine to warm up sometimes. I read somewhere about different alloys for forged pistons and that one of them isn’t noisy, but I’m skeptical. I’m all for upping the CR so long as I can run low octane pump gas, but I’d also like to keep the cost down if I can. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Help Choosing Pistons and CR

Post by Cheromaniac »

Talk to Russ Pottenger. He can fix you up with a set of custom pistons to suit your needs. The alloy used in today's forged pistons allows a tighter piston to bore clearance, though he might have a supply of custom hypereutectic pistons which, of course, allow an even tighter clearance.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Help Choosing Pistons and CR

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Billy,

RaceTec makes my Pistons for me to my specs out of 4032 high silicon aluminum alloy rather than 2618.
Tighter clearances and greater scuff resistance are a few of the reasons. Clearances aren’t much different than your typical Silvolite cast piston but at the same time are much more durable. After Engine temps normalize you can’t really hear any difference.

The advantage of a custom piston like mine is I offer a 12cc to 28cc dish piston in 2cc Increments which allows you to truly build a custom engine with an Uncompromised static compression ratio
Also a potential cost savings of not having deck the block in order to maintain a tight quench is also a benefit to be considered.

Feel free to reach out to me and I’ll be more than happy to help you with your project.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]