Lack luster performance?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
pineysautomotive
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Lack luster performance?

Post by pineysautomotive »

Hey group, finally got the stoker into the jeep. Broke it in with rotella and I am continuing to use that oil to keep the cam alive.
Jeep starts up and runs great. although i do hear an intermittant miss at idle but I'm going to blame that on the cam for now.
I feel like this thing just doesnt have the power I was anticipating...Or maybe I was expecting too much?
I would love for some experts to critique my set up and maybe point me in a direction I may have failed to address.
1994 wrangler, ax15, 4.11 gear ratio, 37 inch tires
block was bored .030, cleaned, cam bearings installed, etc. No deck work.
Russ Pottenger ported head with chevy ls valves and springs, 58cc chamber
Russ forged pistons with 24cc relief with matching floating scat rods
scat stroker crank
comp cams 68-235-4 cam and matching lifters installed dot to dot (straight up)
felpro mls head gasket If I remember the compressed should be .043
late model, horseshoe style intake that has been port matched to Russ's intake ports
Ford blue top 24 lb. injectors, fuel pressure is at 40 psi at idle
bbk 62 mm throttle body
restrictor removed from factory airbox lid, k&n filter installed
bbk ceramic coated header
2.5inch exhaust with bbk performance muffler
crank sensor has been indexed to provide 2 degreees extra advance
distributor sync has been reverified and is right on the money.
electric fan conversion.
I have about 150 miles or so on the engine now, have changed the oil twice.
temps stay right at 210
The jeep runs and drives fine, and yes i do feel a slight increase in torque when i really step on it. I guess I feel like I was expecting a much bigger increase in output from my investment. I'm a long time mechanic and have had my share of hot rods and engine builds but I guess the seat of my pants just doesnt feel where my money went lol.
I would any and all feedback or questions. I feel like I'm missing something.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Lack luster performance?

Post by Cheromaniac »

Your engine's still far from broken in. As it loosens up you'll begin to feel the extra performance, and the ECU will also have adapted to the new engine specs.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
pineysautomotive
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by pineysautomotive »

Thanks for the reply, Dino! I know it will loosen up some, but I still feel there are some variables on the table. I did some digging through this forum last night and started to see some similarities. It looks like alot of folks have stepped their injector size up from the traditional 24lb to 27lb. Is my build too mild for this step up in injector sizing? I also reached out to flyin ryan and his reply was "no support for obd1, sorry"... that kind of leaves me baffled since a custom tune would definitely be good for this thing. Is their anyone left that can change the fuel maps and timing curves of these old things?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yeah unfortunately the OBD 1 ECU cannot be reprogrammed so your options are limited. Pull your plugs and check their color. That'll give you a clue as to whether your engine is running lean.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Tolemar »

pineysautomotive wrote: December 10th, 2021, 7:06 am Thanks for the reply, Dino! I know it will loosen up some, but I still feel there are some variables on the table. I did some digging through this forum last night and started to see some similarities. It looks like alot of folks have stepped their injector size up from the traditional 24lb to 27lb. Is my build too mild for this step up in injector sizing? I also reached out to flyin ryan and his reply was "no support for obd1, sorry"... that kind of leaves me baffled since a custom tune would definitely be good for this thing. Is their anyone left that can change the fuel maps and timing curves of these old things?
Do you have a wide band a/f monitor? Also I noticed the later model 97 ecu is really conservative with the timing maybe your is also. What was your final compression ratio?