Crower cam and lifters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Rosea
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Crower cam and lifters

Post by Rosea »

Hi folks. Long time lurker, and I truly appreciate all the knowledge that people share on this forum. I've learned so much about my Jeep from everyone. Thank you.

I'm planning an engine rebuild soon, it's a 94 XJ with a stock 4.0 242 engine that has some nasty piston slap. I'm not planning to stroke my engine, just a couple small mods. One is some hyper eutectic pistons to keep clearance tight and avoid any future piston slap if I can.

The other is a cam that will bring my powerband as low as possible to give me some more useable torque. 90% of my driving is stop/go, low speed and rpm backroad driving on Vancouver Island which means I'm always climbing hills loaded up with camping gear. Deeper gears will come in the future when I can afford it, but for now I just want a lower powerband and more torque.

My first choice is the Crower 44242 and a set of their cam saver lifters. (Second would be the Isky 1331M). Does anyone have experience to share with the Crower or Isky? My understanding is that they're all interchangeable and the only difference is an extra lobe for the 258 mechanical fuel pump.

I'm still new to cam tech, but from what I've seen the 4.0 head is pretty much done once it hits .4 lift and the most sensible option would be to simply move the powerband and duration lower to make the power more useable. Thanks again for all the knowledge on this forum. Y'all are great.