Jeep stroker for 1936 Dodge Sedan

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
heartlandoffroad
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7 turbo

Re: Jeep stroker for 1936 Dodge Sedan

Post by heartlandoffroad »

johnhalabama wrote:I went with the D35 Axle because it was free and because I wanted to keep everything in the Dodge family if possible.
I was wandering if that might be the case. :cheers:
johnhalabama wrote:As far as the locker they make a lock-rite locker that just locks up when power is applied and then disengages when you let off.
When you do the Lock-rite (lunch box locker) make sure you put in A new hardened center pin because you will brake the stock one and when you do it will brake the carrier I sell them for like $30.00. Cheap insurance.

This is a smoking cool build please keep us all posted. :rockout:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

johnhalabama wrote: I went with the D35 Axle because it was free and because I wanted to keep everything in the Dodge family if possible. As far as the locker they make a lock-rite locker that just locks up when power is applied and then disengages when you let off. Worst case I will be pulling a 1,100lb tear drop camper. I don't plan on doing any hard cornering or side stress that will affect the c-clips. At worse if it breaks, I pull it, weld two new mounts on a heavier axle and bolt it in. I did find out that some of the old Volvo's use the D35 axle and there is a cheap disk brake conversion if I want to change that out. It's free so more money I can put into the engine for now....
I was trying to find the link provided to the rods earlier, but I was searching for "jeep" "forged" and didn't find it. IIRC 505performance also sells high end stroker parts.

I would personally like to know how the D35 handles the extra power. I had one in a stock '91 4.0L, did some towing (4000 Jaguar) and I wasn't exactly gentle on the vehicle... the D35 held up fine. Damn I miss that Jeep. Build quality was much higher than on my 2000.

If you need an extra D35 I have one available. With extra shafts. :cheers:

As far as the disk brakes if you have a hard time finding Volvo parts, as said earlier the ZJ discs will work. If interested I have a writeup on it.

-Chris
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

heartlandoffroad wrote: The last sentence says he is putting a locker in it.

If you look in these pics on his build page you'll see it is a 4 link. http://www.killbillet.com/attachment.ph ... 1233623346
http://www.killbillet.com/attachment.ph ... 1233623346
I wasn't saying you were wrong, I just didn't see it.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

johnhalabama wrote: I did find out that some of the old Volvo's use the D35 axle and there is a cheap disk brake conversion
I didn't know that Volvo used the Dana 35?, ALL of them that I've seen are the Dana 30.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

IH 392 wrote: I didn't know that Volvo used the Dana 35?, ALL of them that I've seen are the Dana 30.
That is what I remember hearing.. vaguely.
johnhalabama
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1936
Vehicle Make: Dodge
Vehicle Model: D2 Sedan

Post by johnhalabama »

I didn't know that Volvo used the Dana 35?, ALL of them that I've seen are the Dana 30.
I believe you are correct. I have a friend that just bought an old late 60's Volvo wagon and he was saying it was a Dana 35 but after googling it most everything comes up with the Dana 30. I should have looked that up before I threw it out there.

Any guys here running a carb or mostly fuel injected?

john
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

A friend of mine is into volvo's and his "brick" station waggon has a rear Dana 30. IIRC, there was also a Dana 31, basically a D30 but there was a minor differece. Since Dana isn't a Chrysler company (their products are in Fords and Chevy's) The Chrysler 8.25 would be perfect, except for the part about the D35 being free.

I've had a lot of people give me parts for free but I either tossed them or used them as scrap metal because I knew they were not as good and could cost me a lot more time and money down the road when they do fail.

Someone over on NAXJA has this in their sig. "swapping in a D35 is like going out of your way to step in S##T."
:cheers:
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

Hey, it's not welded in yet. There is still hope.

John
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

Here are a couple of shots getting ready to fit the engine and fab motor mounts then I can tear the engine down and get busy.
stroker2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wrambler
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by Wrambler »

Sweet build!
Someone mentions a stroker in a 2800lb car being a good combo.

I have a barely modified 4.0L non stroked in my 69 American posted in the AMC section.
I can assure you, you will be most happy with the results!

Mine knocks down 24-28mpg and fries tires at will! :rockout:
Mark
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L,H.O efi, T5
1997 XJ Sport, 4.0L, AX15
2004 WJ 4.7L,V8, Airraid Jr, Dynomax ultraflo, addco rear sway.
1965 Ambassador Convertible, rustbucket, Resident Evil, can't get it done, can't kill it...
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

I got my motor mounts in today. 2" o.d. x 3" long steel barrel mounts with poly inserts and bolt sleeve. I'll have some pictures this weekend hopefully with the engine over in the car.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this engine will do. I have no doubt that I won't be disappointed. If I can get everything fit up I'll be tearing down the engine next week.

I did figure out that the stock header won't fit with the Clifford intake without some modification. I plan on getting their split header and running dual exhaust anyway but good to know if you are expecting a direct bolt on.

John
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

I promise you guys, my next build is going to be a jacked up jeep cherokee with a stroker so I can go wheeling with my buddies.

I'm sure I will learn all kinds of lessons with this first engine. Thanks for all the help and advise so far. Really a great bunch of guys on here and enough tech info to read until your eyes bleed.

John - Chesapeake, VA
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

Setting the engine to fab the motor mounts. Here are a couple of shots of the engine in the car. I got the top of the mounts tacked up and hope to weld those up tomorrow and work on mounting them to the frame. Hopefully have the engine squared up over the weekend and then I can pull it back out and tear it down.

Everything fit up good for the most part. I had to pitch the engine back about 2-3 degree for the front of the oil pan to clear the cross member.

More to come.

John - Chesapeake, VA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnhalabama

Post by johnhalabama »

I got the engine mounts fabricated and tacked to the frame. I pulled the engine back out and now I can tear it down and start on the stroker. Here are a couple of shots of what I did today.

Hey, I know it's not a jeep but the next one will be.....

John - Chesapeake, VA
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

If it was me id find a different rear axle like an Isuzu D44 since its narrow and has disc brakes or the 8.8 or the 9" but I suppose if your on a tight budget it's probably the best thing for your situation. If I breaks you'll know what to do.