Nifty Shifter for AW4 slushbox (NS)

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Nifty Shifter for AW4 slushbox (NS)

Post by TJryder »

Since I had a great experience with Nick and his Nifty Shifter I am giving a shout out. No afiliation of whatsoever - just happy as a radio. :banana:

Nick has designed a device that can take almost full control of AW4 , Renix and OBD2 version.

It basically enables you to toggle between manual and auto setting with a flick of a switch.

Additionally - you can control lockup of torque converter with a second switch, topically on a supplied box for a large segmented LED that displays which gear you in and TC status (locked / open)

You can set it up in almost any imaginable configuration and this was also one thing that got me confused. Otherwise installation is super easy, no wire cutting required, you can always go back (but I doubt anyone will want to :D )

I wanted to have control of lockup of TC both in Manual mode and in Auto mode. Wrote to Nick and he gave me prompt support. Super helpful.

So now after two months of use - I can confirm much improved mileage as I am almost always driving in TC locked mode. The tranny shifts almost like a modern DSG box. You have a benefit of engine breaking, no nonsense RPM bump up for any desire of change of speed.

I did not measure - but I am certain that also tranny is running cooler.

Check the video from Nick: https://youtu.be/ntXTQAsO_sc

Where to get it: https://nickintimedesign.com/product/aw ... -jr-v1-96/
Check the year of your Jeep before ordering!

My setup (quote from Nick), 1990 Renix
=====================================
Ok, so it sounds like we want this setup:

Nifty Shifter [P] switch should be ON (2 dots) so that the power/comfort switch controls the Nifty Shifters manual mode.

To control the Torque Converter with the Screen Switch, we need to wire the Screen Switch Output (White) to the Torque Converter Input (Orange.)

To Control the Torque Converter in Auto and Manual mode, the Nifty Shifter [T] switch should be ON (2 dots.)

Also, the Torque Converter is not designed to work in 1st gear so it’s possible there is a mechanical limitation there. It should function in 2nd through 4th fine though.

Hope this helps.
====================================

I have done 3,5RE lift, 4,88 regear, TB boring and porting - but man - NS is best upgrade of them all!
°O|||||||O°
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Nifty Shifter for AW4 slushbox (NS)

Post by TJryder »

An update after a couple of thousand of kilometrs with the Nifty onboard and the background...

I have regeared my XJ really low. 4.88 for running it on 31's and 3" RE liftkit.

When driving city - it feels really quick, the nifty shifter with TC locked at all times makes it feel super tight. Shifts up quickly, keeping low RPM under low pressure on the skinny pedal.

If I half press the skinny one, it revs up up to 3.000 rpm before shifting, making it a true of the red light contender. Full pressure on the skinny one - goes to redline and shifts firmly.

Without TC locked the shifting is much softer, undefined and only keeps revs high up but power does not feel to be delivers to rear wheels. So in the end - a much more modern driving experience.

Though all is not cheerful. Driving on the tight twisty uphill road - the revs are kept low and with TC locked it can also drop down to lack of power mode. But an easy fix on the fly - I just flick the TC switch to the open mode and than TC does what is intended to do - converts RPM to torque.

All in all - still supper happy and highly recommended! And to make it clear - no affiliation here.
°O|||||||O°