Transmission Needs

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Transmission Needs

Post by greers85 »

I did attempt to search for information on how to approach the transmission work that will be needed once the stroker is complete but have not seen much. I am going with a 4.6 build, the RaceTech Pistons are here, and the machine shop will be boring the block and installing the cam bearings next week. Now that I have a path forward for the engine, I would like to make preparation plans for the transmission. It is a 42RE and seemed to work pretty good at the time I pulled the motor. The main issue was that it had some bad leaks.

Is a normal rebuild appropriate and will it handle the added HP and Torque from the Stroker? As far as the Torque Converter goes same question, is stock ok or is it better to match it to the new cam? What information will I need to match the two? Thanks again!
Hypermynx
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Transmission Needs

Post by Hypermynx »

I am in the same boat as you. All the research I have done led me to take my 42RE and get it upgraded. From what I understand there are alot of upgrades you can have done to help improve horse power and torque capabilities. Oil pump, clutches, shift kits are just some of the options. I opted for a manual shift kit, stronger clutches and a little bit higher stall converter. I haven't installed it yet into my tj but ill keep you updated as I progress with my build.
greers85
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by greers85 »

Great to hear, please keep me updated. I should start assembly of my short block soon and think I will start the transmission after that.
ethanb
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: LJ

Post by ethanb »

Just rebuilt my 42rle I don't know if you use the same pump or not but I was able to get the A604 pump and reuse the stator from mine and you get a higher volume pump. I saw it in a rebuild video and it was even listed in transmission magazine years ago. If you're looking to do the NP231 transfer case get the 6 gear planet for strength too, factory is 3 gears.