Another Cam related question

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bubblhead
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Another Cam related question

Post by Bubblhead »

I am having trouble determining what cam I should use. I have read tons of threads on here regarding the subject, but it seems one thread praises a particular cam series and the next trashes it, so no real valuable info can be gleaned from personal preferences. Based on the threads I have seen, I am curious about the longevity issues everyone seems to be having with just about every major manufacturer, are these improper spring pressure issues? or just crappy manufacture? My original plan was to use the comp Cams 232 , but kinda gun shy to use any of the majors now or even ask their recommendation. My build is based on a 99 block, 6.125 rods, 12 lobe scat crank, bulltear 60 over / 1.380 pin pistons, final piston dish and combustion chamber specs are going to be driven by cam selection, but I am guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-21cc and 62 cc respectively. This is an occasional daily driver and mil to moderate offroad use. (not looking to build a race car) just a solid low to mid range torque, but still daily drive friendly. I will take reliability over an extra hp or 2 any day! The cam is the last piece in my puzzle that ironically, everything else hinges on. Any recommendations based on what has worked and my apparent needs? Thanks!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Another Cam related question

Post by Cheromaniac »

A mild performance cam specific to the '99+ block such as the CompCams 163-201-5 (205/213 0.050" duration, 0.45"/0.45" lift) will do nicely and it'll work with stock valve springs.
You could aim for a static CR of about 9.5:1.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: