Newbie planning on stroker possibly for her CJ7

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Princess__Jamie
Stroker Displacement: 258
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Newbie planning on stroker possibly for her CJ7

Post by Princess__Jamie »

Looking to build a basic no frills stroker. I am looking at running 87 if need be but want the same reliability of my current 4.2. currently my 4.2 has 220k miles and needs head work and I'm entertaining the idea of a stroker swap. Carb or efi doesn't bother me as much as refreshing the last part (it's engine) for my DD/Trail CJ7 build. Pic of the subject.
Princess__Jamie

Re: Newbie planning on stroker possibly for her CJ7

Pic below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

What's your budget?
Are you planning to buy a junkyard 4.0 to rebuild yourself, or do you want to buy a ready built stroker ready to drop in?
A carb set up would certainly be a lot simpler since your CJ wasn't originally fuel injected, so I'd advise you to take that route. An aftermarket intake manifold e.g. Offenhauser with a Holley 500cfm carb, plus your own choice of header with 2.5" exhaust system, should do nicely.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Princess__Jamie

I'm going to build the engine outside the Jeep first. Was thinking tbi and adapting an extra manifold I already have to the 4.0 head. If I just put a 4.0 head on a mildly bored 4.2 I would probably stick with a carb. I was going to do a core exchange with mabbco and just give them the internals to put together since I'm local in TX. The said they would machine and assemble the block for 1k which is hard to argue. I guess right not I'm entertaining all the different ideas currently.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

That 1k rebuild seems too good to be true. If you price the parts out they add up pretty quickly. What exactly will they be replacing and what machine work will they perform ?

The 4.0 with your 4.2 crank might be an alternative to consider. The ROI would be greater due to the 4.0`s larger bore size. There is this guy Russ that lurks here on occasion. He is quite knowledgeable on putting together packages that work well together. Plus he can advise you with the proper information on just how the block and head need to be machined. There are a few critical areas of attention that separate a good stroker from a sub par one.

Take it 60 over, use his piston and rod combinations that match the head. Square the block up well and line hone the mains and the cam tunnel.

One word of advice, whereas a 87 octane engine is feasible it leaves a lot on the table. Making it an 91 or even a 93 will give you a better setup and your tuner person will love you more for it.

Good Luck,
Grumpy old man. :D