Stroker Tuning

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Stroker Tuning

Post by rlinares40 »

I am trying to figure out if I would need to tune my stroker or if the PCM will be able to handle the build, and if anyone has a preferred tuner? From the research i've been doing it would seem that an wideband O2 sensor is a must.

4.7L Stroker
4.2L Crank
Russ' Pistons & Rods
Rollermaster Double Roller Timing Set
Crane Cams 753901
Howard Lifters
Hi Volume Oil Pump
Billet Aluminum Fuel Rail
Bosch Injectors (0280158089) 25LB at 43.5psi so it would be around 28-29LB with the higher psi in my 06
Ported Intake and Exhaust
Scorpion Racing Products Roller Rockers 1.6 Ratio
68mm PERFECT Hi-Velocity Throttle Body
Banks Ram Air CAI

If there's anything i'm missing or that y'all would recommend please let me know. The engine should be finished this weekend and the only thing left would be to measure the push rods and get them ordered. :banana:
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stroker Tuning

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

From what I've gathered... It seems like most people would tend to think you don't need tuning at your level, but it should help you make more power. I guess a lot would depend on how aggressive your if cam is. A wideband is closer to what I would consider mandatory. When I installed mine and could see my af ratio, it made it much more enjoyable to drive and make changes. In the grand scheme of things we are talking about $200 and a couple hours of work if you can weld. At your stage, $200 isn't nothing, but it is one of the smaller expenses. I mounted mine on top of the steering column and now it looks like I'm a street racer haha. Really though, it looks cool just above the center of the steering wheel.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Your engine would probably run fine with the stock PCM but you really need a tune to get the fuel and timing tables properly dialed in to optimize performance.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

Cheromaniac wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 10:55 pm Your engine would probably run fine with the stock PCM but you really need a tune to get the fuel and timing tables properly dialed in to optimize performance.
The reason I’m asking is because the stroker idles fine but once I give it gas it starts to sputter/vibrate and only happens when given gas. The other thing I’m dealing with is it dies on me if I put it in reverse (50/50 chance).

I installed The AFR gauge and the stock computer is doing pretty well at keeping a Lamda of 1 up until around 70-80mph then it drops to around 0.780ish.

I did a fuel pressure test today and I’m at around 36-38psi. I replaced the fuel pump with the Bosche recommended one for 05-06 last year, but from the forums I though those year wranglers were suppose to have the 59psi pumps? Would an undersized fuel injector be causing the problems mentioned above?
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

To add to this it only happens in the 1-2k RPM range. Once it’s above 2k RPM it’s smooth
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Your fuel system should operate at 58psi (4.0 Bar) and your injectors are probably a little oversized, but a good tune will take care of that. It sounds like your engine is running lean at low rpm and rich at higher rpm. This is where a tune will really help. You might want to get the correct 58psi fuel pump first and take it from there.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

Cheromaniac wrote: July 5th, 2021, 12:52 am Your fuel system should operate at 58psi (4.0 Bar) and your injectors are probably a little oversized, but a good tune will take care of that. It sounds like your engine is running lean at low rpm and rich at higher rpm. This is where a tune will really help. You might want to get the correct 58psi fuel pump first and take it from there.
This is the OEM fuel pump I purchased last year:
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-67756-Orig ... p+Wrangler

so it should be running at 58 psi correct?

would it be easier just to upgrade to a Walbro fuel pump, and if so would you know which model?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yes, that looks like the correct fuel pump since it's specific to the 05-06 TJ.
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

Cheromaniac wrote: July 6th, 2021, 10:45 pm Yes, that looks like the correct fuel pump since it's specific to the 05-06 TJ.
Ordered a Russell Performance fuel line with a take off adapter to install an inline fuel gauge. Hopefully this will take the fuel pressure doubts out of the equation since I don't trust the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Something I found interesting off your website is that the 05-06 4.0's have a higher static flow than all the previous years almost by 3 lb/hr for the stock injectors. I wonder what was the reasoning for the additional fuel or if Jeep just accounted for it in their stock tune. I have smaller ford 21LB which would almost put me back to the stock 25.4lb/hr but I'm determined to figure out how to tune this stoker.
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

Something to note is that my wideband was reading 1 Lambda but I could tell that my engine was not running right. Without changing the stock tune and removing the fuel rail to check the injectors and reinstalling them my wideband is now reading 0.650ish which means I'm running rich (I believe this is correct), I'm hoping that the wideband isn't failing or defective because it's the foundation for tuning.

Most of the information out there is either for GM, Dodge, or Older 4.0's. The computers that come with with the 05-06 are the NGC3's which is a Dodge computer but most of the parameters on HP tuners are completely different when you compare them side by side. Once I figure out how to tune it properly, I'll put together a write-up/manual so there's at least some documentation of the basics on how to tune these jeeps instead of having to dig through GM/Dodge forums for hours trying to piece things together in the hopes of it working the same.
rlinares40
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by rlinares40 »

KarmaKannon1 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:13 am From what I've gathered... It seems like most people would tend to think you don't need tuning at your level, but it should help you make more power. I guess a lot would depend on how aggressive your if cam is. A wideband is closer to what I would consider mandatory. When I installed mine and could see my af ratio, it made it much more enjoyable to drive and make changes. In the grand scheme of things we are talking about $200 and a couple hours of work if you can weld. At your stage, $200 isn't nothing, but it is one of the smaller expenses. I mounted mine on top of the steering column and now it looks like I'm a street racer haha. Really though, it looks cool just above the center of the steering wheel.
Yes it does look pretty cool having one on the dash :rockout:

What brand did you end up going with? I bought the AEM X-Series for mine and at first it was reading around 1 Lambda (14.7 AFR) but now it's reading around 0.650 Lambda (around 9.56AFR) with the stock tune which is correct because I'm running really rich (black smoke like a diesel out of the tailpipe)
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

rlinares40 wrote: July 15th, 2021, 6:28 am
KarmaKannon1 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:13 am From what I've gathered... It seems like most people would tend to think you don't need tuning at your level, but it should help you make more power. I guess a lot would depend on how aggressive your if cam is. A wideband is closer to what I would consider mandatory. When I installed mine and could see my af ratio, it made it much more enjoyable to drive and make changes. In the grand scheme of things we are talking about $200 and a couple hours of work if you can weld. At your stage, $200 isn't nothing, but it is one of the smaller expenses. I mounted mine on top of the steering column and now it looks like I'm a street racer haha. Really though, it looks cool just above the center of the steering wheel.
Yes it does look pretty cool having one on the dash :rockout:

What brand did you end up going with? I bought the AEM X-Series for mine and at first it was reading around 1 Lambda (14.7 AFR) but now it's reading around 0.650 Lambda (around 9.56AFR) with the stock tune which is correct because I'm running really rich (black smoke like a diesel out of the tailpipe)
I went with the aem also. It seemed to be pretty consistent. I can't say it that means accurate or not.
PXL_20210716_015843892.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harleyman
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by Harleyman »

Hope FRT will respond But here goes. I have a 2000 wrangler. Been in proses of collecting parks with Russ, Getting machine work done, when I install cam can I retard timing 2 deg so when I tow a 11 ft tent trailer it will have a little bit more top end torque. The 4.6 stroker kit from Russ is suppose to make 320 horse at crank. The question is when it comes time to tune will this cause any problems?