Recommendations for First Stroker Build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Aureus
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Recommendations for First Stroker Build

Post by Aureus »

Hello all,

My 98 XJ spun a distributor today, and I've discovered the cam is at fault. Definitely needs replaced and therefore I ended up looking at performance cams which lead me to strokers. Outside of small go-kart engines, I do not personally have much experience on working on the internals of engines. However I'm always willing to learn!

I have a couple questions, first of which is what should I be aiming for budget wise? I'm not looking for a super wild build, mostly just a little extra power (maybe somewhere around 50-70 more horsepower?), while still remaining reliable and can run on 87 pump gas.

Another question is how hard is it to source the parts required for the build. I'm in the Dayton, OH region, has anyone around here had issues with finding 258s?

And my last question is what can I expect for mileage? Obviously this isnt a huge deal to me, as I expect it to be lower, but I am curious nonetheless.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Recommendations for First Stroker Build

Post by Cheromaniac »

Our resident stroker guru Russ Pottenger can supply you all the parts you'd need to build a strong running stroker. Of course you can buy some of the OEM replacement parts (e.g. gasket sets, freeze plugs, harmonic balancer) that you'd need online.
Getting 260-270hp out of a 4.6 stroker is as easy as pie. Gas mileage will depend on your driving style but my 4.6 stroker delivered slightly better gas mileage and better emissions than when my Jeep was bone stock.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: