What’s it mean when engine runs with cmp sensor 180 out

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
b.rudy
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

What’s it mean when engine runs with cmp sensor 180 out

Post by b.rudy »

Hey guys, I haven’t posted much but I’ve been ghosting for a while. Just got my 4.6 stroker running and I’ve got a glowing header issue. I have done lengthy diagnosis of the issue and I am still having issues. However one thing I did notice is that irregardless of whether the crankshaft is at TDC compression or exhaust stroke when I install the cam position sensor timed with a toothpick the engine will run regardless..? I still need to tune it (using HP Tuners) but why would it run decently. Even if 180° out?
I have borrowed a friends snap on Solus scan tool and I’m going to try to do the CMP re-sync tonight.
However any thoughts? Will the PCM go into a batch fire
Mode or something - which might explain my glowing header issue.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: What’s it mean when engine runs with cmp sensor 180 out

Post by Cheromaniac »

Did you install a new harmonic balancer?
A glowing header indicates that you have at least one of two problems; a lean condition or overretarded ignition timing.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Unclewolverine
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Unclewolverine »

Or super rich and the fuel is still burning as it exits the cylinders. Rotaries are always run super rich to prevent detonation and they will glow the header red.
b.rudy
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by b.rudy »

Ok so for others searching, here is what happened and why my header was glowing.
Basically everything was fine, ie. timing, tune was close enough(ie A/F ratio) and everything was mechanically sound. I spent countless hours diagnosing only to realize that the "Heatshield Products" "Header Armor" was the reason my header was glowing. Knowing how hot these XJ's run I was trying to combat the heat soak issues these jeeps have and in the process caused another issue. A cherry red header! I removed the expensive header heat shield and bam no more glowing header :roll:
oh well live and learn, I hope this may help someone some day from making the same mistake!