Recommendations for stroker for mail jeep

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Unclewolverine
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Recommendations for stroker for mail jeep

Post by Unclewolverine »

Im a rural mail carrier driving a 1995 right hand drive xj. I blew the headgasket, put a new one in but ran too much water through it and scrubbed the cam bearings, still ran it with minimal oil pressure until a temporary donor could be sourced. Now that im back on the route it's time to plan the serious rebuild of the original 4.0. Regardless of what direction I go everything is going to need machined. An amc lover on my mail route generously gave me an old 87 258, I figured if I have to machine everything I might as well go stroker right? I want to build this engine for reliability and longevity, with hopefully a little power boost. So what do you guys recommend? Still want to run 87 gas, mostly stock everything. I have a home built cold air intake, high output coil, full aluminum radiator, hood vent, auto, 3.55 gears, and no cat. I might put in different injectors, and a different exhaust. I can't upgrade to the bigger intake because rhds have a different pully set up. So im looking for torque, I spend a lot of time at idle, accelerating from dead stops 300+ times a day, 150 miles 5 days a week. What rods and pistons should I use? Should I upgrade the cam?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Recommendations for stroker for mail jeep

Post by Russ Pottenger »

You’re off to a good start having a 258 doner where you cann repurpose the Crankshaft in a 4.6 Stroker build.

If you shoot me a call I’d be happy to discuss options for a piston and connecting rod package and address the remaining components in a kit.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

I suggest you build a low buck 4.6 stroker to something like the following spec:

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom forged +0.030" bore pistons, compression height 1.380", dish volume 18cc
9.6:1 CR
CompCams 68-232-4 camshaft
Mildly ported stock HO cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.043" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr @ 39psi blue injectors

Russ can provide all the parts that you'll need, and you already have the crank so that's a great start.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Unclewolverine

Post by Unclewolverine »

Ok, thanks that gives me a good place to start thinking. Project might have to get put on the back burner though. I think I have a bearing going out in my 242 case and I'm having trouble getting a clear answer on what rebuild kit to buy or replacement cases to look for since some of the exports came with a different chain and no one seems to know how to tell the difference without me taking the case apart. Also, I'm not sure my current motor is going to last as long as its going to take me to build the stroker. It is a junkyard unit that has always sounded pretty rough and burns a quart of oil every three hundred miles. I had to take a couple long trips with it this week and I may have broken an oil ring because it now has a little blue haze to the exhaust that it didn't before. Need to see if my oil consumption comes up. Honestly if someone had a good 4.0 available I would trade them my core motor, 258 crank and rods and a little cash.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

Where are you located?
Unclewolverine