Cam bearing failure

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Xj

Cam bearing failure

Post by Mike B »

Bad news bears folks, I've got cam bearing failures in my 4.7l stroker. The shop that machined the block said they don't normally see these failures if zddp oil is used along with a proper breakin procedure, which I have followed to a T. My failures were at bearings 2 and 3, 1 and 4 look good. Only reason I discovered this is because I had to pull oil pan to address an oil leak.
20210411_114522.jpg
20210411_114530.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Cam bearing failure

Post by Mike B »

I have to break my posts up so that I dont get logged out, been through this already today in the first go around, having lost an entire post.

So now, I have a howard camshaft from clegg engine, its their stage 2 cam, I can post specs on that later on if its relevant. The block is a 91 block installed in a 95, the shop checked everything, and I paid for a line bore honing as well. The head had work done to it by Clegg also, so heavier springs, larger valves, etc.

Where do I go from here other than replacing bearings and inspecting camshaft???
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Also noteworthy, my oil pressure has been consistently high, like 60-80 psi high, when priming the oil before startup, i had oil to all pushrods immediately. So what the hell!?!??! I didnt hear any knocking up til the point of dropping oil pan either.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by bleedsblue »

Maybe this is a totally NOOB question, but how do you tell if the cam bearings are shot with the cam still in the block?
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

bleedsblue wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:49 pm Maybe this is a totally NOOB question, but how do you tell if the cam bearings are shot with the cam still in the block?
If you zoom in on the photos right in the center, you can see the cam bearing material "oozing" out of its bore, pictured are the 2nd and 3rd bearings. Guess this is not an uncommon issue.

Another note, started the jeep so I could move it, heard it knocking for the first time, it was brief, but there. I put a stethoscope to the block and it all sounds normal after that startup.

Going to try to find a shop to do the bearings asap, need to find out what bearing brand is best though.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by bleedsblue »

Bad news. Sorry buddy. Do your order all your stuff from Clegg over the internet? Or are you here in Utah?
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

I ordered it from their site.
bnelson
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by bnelson »

Possible that the oil holes were not lined up?
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

bnelson wrote: April 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm Possible that the oil holes were not lined up?
Funny thing about that, I talked to the shop that installed them, they asked me if they were installed correctly...... you installed them, not me, you tell me whats supposed to be correct, you're the expert!

But in all seriousness after talking to clegg, I have a strong feeling that were not lined up correctly per durabonds spec. Theyre supposed to be installed at the 2 o'clock position, where a shop i talked to thats closer to me said that 12 is the standard. Well, I hope that this new shop ill be working with can help me resolve the issue so that I dont have it again.

I'll report back when I tear the block down, currently in the middle of a regear for the heep. Front is done, going to the rear now, fortunately it's a 29 spline 8.25, so theres less messing around there.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

bnelson wrote: April 13th, 2021, 2:55 pm Possible that the oil holes were not lined up?
This.
bleedsblue wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:49 pm Maybe this is a totally NOOB question, but how do you tell if the cam bearings are shot with the cam still in the block?
The bearing material appears to have been squeezed out of the block journals like toothpaste.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I had bad cam bearings for at least the last 40k miles of my 12year/120kmi stroker. Hot idle oil pressure was down to 10psi. I installed new ones a few weeks ago along with the comp cam 235. I’ll be honing and re-ringing tomorrow or Sat.
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Got the block tore down and sent to shop, oil holes were lined up where they were supposed to be, but boy did those bearings look ugly. Dont look like they spun at all, so that was a saving grace. Cam journals look good enough to polish up and send. The shop will install the cam when everything is done and check to ensure it spins freely like it should.
20210517_204034.jpg
20210517_204026.jpg
20210517_204019.jpg
20210517_204003.jpg
The center 2 bearings took most of the damage, the one in the back looks untouched, the front is okay, but started to wear down. I wish there was a definitive answer on this issue for as many bearing failures I've seen on this site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

So those are Dura-Bond Bearings?
Mike B
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Mike B »

Randy Bobandi wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm So those are Dura-Bond Bearings?
Yes, they were. Now they are shit. Im not sure what the engine shop will put back in, but they stated that cam bearing failures are a dumb problem, as they shouldn't happen at all. Im going to ask him to check the runout of the cam just cause. Hes going to polish the surfaces, so no matter what, if that was the problem before, it shouldn't be now.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Keep us posted. I have a sneaking suspicion I have a similar issue. What did your oil look like?