258 rods and 242 rods

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Texas250
Stroker Displacement: N/a
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

258 rods and 242 rods

Post by Texas250 »

So I have read and read and read for weeks on end now about rod ratio and different connecting rods and the affects on how the engine performs. The conclusion I have came to is that connecting rod ratio doesn’t matter, but it does matter!

It doesn’t matter on its own, but as a system it does matter.
I have read shorter rods tend to give a broader torque curve along with better vacuum at idle. The can allow more room for timing errors and reduce detonation as long as the quench is there to help. I have read that they don’t flow as well but have a longer dwell time at BDC

Longer rods on the other hand have a longer dwell time at TDC, less room for timing errors, more chance for detonation if there is a timing or injection timing error, and it increases peak torque and horsepower as a system

My conclusion from all my research is that long rods sound ideal for engine longevity but if I wanted to build an 4.6 stroker utilizing a 258 crank and 4.0 block it sounds like the 258 rods would give me a broader torque curve, more room for timing errors while I try to get it right, more vacuum at idle, and better throttle response which sounds ideal to me.

I get that quench, head design, flow, piston design, and camshaft selection play a huge part in all of this but is there anything I’m missing on this topic?

I would really like to keep this from turning into a war of long rod vs short rod but more of facts that maybe I am not seeing. I have done lots of research so far and lots of long life well known engines have rod ratios on both sides of this equation so I’d rather not get into all of that either.

Also I’m more doing this to learn more of the facts before I build my stroker for my her which just cracked a ring so it will be happening sooner rather than later.
Tim
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 258 rods and 242 rods

Post by Cheromaniac »

The difference in rod length:stroke ratio is too little to be of any significance. The real advantage of the 4.0L rods is the ability to run a set of custom forged pistons to your desired deck clearance and compression ratio.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Texas250
Stroker Displacement: N/a
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Texas250 »

The machine shop I am working with currently is contemplating either LS pistons or AMC 304,360 era pistons as they are easier to customize and get forged, while the kb pistons can be had in forged it is really the top that is forged with a cast skirt. We are looking for a rod with the right width so that we can get forged rods as well, amc 360 is the closest we have found so far but the width just isn’t there, so we’re looking for alternatives.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hello Texas,

I carry a 4032 forged piston with multiple dish choices that I sell along with a bushed steel connecting rod.
It makes for a very good package.

Feel free to shoot me a call or email and I’d be happy to send you information and pricing.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Ave.
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]