Now we're talking

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Now we're talking

Post by SkylinesSuck »

https://youtu.be/F7o4OkKjXZc

I am curious how the motor would hold up over time at that power level, but just not popping from one run gives me hope. After living in Japan and messing with a bunch of different turbo motors, I've changed how I judge how "good" a motor is at being power. Turbos and EFI have changed the game to the point that the limiting factor is now the architecture of the motor and how well it can physically hold together given the right internal components, tuning, etc. The 2JZ for example will easily exceed 1000hp on the stock bottom end, and 2000hp with the stock block. My beloved RB's (Skyline engines) can get to 1000hp on the stock block. Even tiny little 2L 4 bangers like the 4G63 can get up towards 1000hp. If they made 850 hp with no signs of the head lifting or the block cracking--especially with a 4" bore, it bodes well for big power for our motors.
Bossman

Re: Now we're talking

Post by Bossman »

That vid was impressive.

The 4.0L inline platform is inherently strong. Very strong. It has a main cap every 2 rods. A V8 has 4 rods per main. It blows my mind that the Jeep has been basically completely ignored on the turbo seen. There should already be 1000hp Jeep 4.0's out there. Yet it seems everyone is happy with like 300hp.

I only just started looking at getting a 4.0L WJ, and I have been consuming as much info as I can, and it's disappointing how neglected these engines are. At least there are scat stroker cranks a rods readily available. Edelbrock is supposedly quitting their 4.0 program.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Where did you hear they were quitting their 4.0 program? As in not going to make any more of the heads they already started producing or just not creating new parts?
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

I heard that in a post.. and I'm sorry to not have a direct link as of right now. I've been gorging myself on 4.0L build info for a couple weeks now and trying to find it might be difficult.

Someone had mentioned it and another company was gonna see if they could either get what was left or even the molds themselves and produce them.

It is possible that was old info and didn't notice.