Hayden Engine Oil Cooler

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Hayden Engine Oil Cooler

Post by Sailboy42 »

During building my stroker I can across the option of installing an engine oil cooler. However, I have seen there are only specific situation where one is worth it. Mostly because it sometimes can cool your oil too much, which would mess with the viscosity. I plan on running regular Mobil 10W30.

The model I'm looking at lets the oil into the cooler at around 160F, but from what I've seen that is way too low. I live in a temperate climate, which makes me more worried.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-459

I'm not concerned about it being overkill, I like the extra insurance. However, what I don't want is it hurt my new engine.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Hayden Engine Oil Cooler

Post by jsawduste »

If the cooler is temp sensitive as you mention than what harm could it do ?

The only issue I see is your choice of oil. Mobil 10-30 will not have the additive package conductive to long camshaft and rocker arm life.

Might I suggest something like Brad Penn 10-30 or Joe Gibbs 10-30 ? These oils have a additive package more inline with what your engine has been designed around.

The so call Racing oils, like VR1 have a different additive package again. Whereas they are friendly to the camshaft and rockers they lack the detergents needed for everyday use.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

I would think if it starts cooling the oil around 160. That would be a bit cold for oil. I know we usually keep around 195 for our coolant thermostats.

I forgot to mention it would be synthetic Mobil.
Do I really need that extra zinc after break-in?
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

Another option I've seen is to a sandwich that uses the coolant to fluctuate the oil temp. That way I oil doesn't have to run an extra length, and coolant and temp stay the same. Not sure if that's a good idea though.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

There are only two situations where you'll need an engine oil cooler. One is prolonged off-road crawling and the other is prolonged operation of the engine at high rpm. A higher ambient air temperature in both situations will cause the oil temperature to rise further.
Unless you live in an area that regularly sees ambient air temperatures over 100*F, I doubt that an engine oil cooler would become necessary. If you have an auto tranny, you should be thinking about adding an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler instead.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

I have a manual so I don't have to worry about a tranny cooler. Though I am looking into PS coolers as I'm putting on 36in soon.
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

Synthetic oil doesn't have the high pressure and ant- scuff additive packages needed for flat tappet cams.
An alternative is to run 15w40 Rotella or delo and a zinc additive.

Many of the cam lobe failures are due to improper oil selection and people not understanding the lubrication requirements.
ALL OIL IS NOT EQUAL. there is plenty of information out there discussing this. 30 minutes of research will answer all of your questions. There is also a reason why oil coolers are set to 160 degrees. The additive package starts to burn and carbon begins to form in the oil.
In my opinion the Hayden oil coolers are too light weight and flimsy to trust my engine to. I would look for a plate style cooler. Or a cooler from a 1 ton truck. There are an array of coolers to be found in the heavy duty truck world.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

I've heard a lot of good things about Rotella, if I decide to go that route ill strongly consider them.

I would agree the Hayden coolers look at bit flimsy. What do you think of their sandwich adapter?
Bertismyname
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

The adaptors are o.k. but, this is one area that has potential to kill an engine. It is definitely not the place to cheap out. B and m is a better choice for a budget oil cooler. Derale or mishimoto would be my personal choice without getting into a custom cooler.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

I'm not concerned about the budget. I'll look at Derale since I've heard good things from them. Any thoughts of the coolers that are integrated into the engine coolant loop?
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by GreenYJ »

I've been running a sandwich oil cooler off a ford 302. I plumbed one of the heater hoses to it. It seems to warm up the oil quicker during cold weather judging by the rate of drop in oil pressure versus no cooler. I used to tow a heavy pop up camper with my Jeep and the used oil looked better when I drained it after the oil cooler install. I know this was not exactly a scientific test result but I feel like it was an improvement.
1994 Sahara YJ