Crank shaft sensor mods

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Crank shaft sensor mods

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

37F419D1-9ABA-41EE-B0F1-3BDC42371CCB.jpeg
I want to purchase a crankshaft sensor that I can modify to slide it in either direction on the mounting plate it is attached to. I want to do this to adjust the timing. I found a thread describing this mod, and it is very easy to do. I tried to do it to the sensor that came with my engine, and the plate it is attached to isn’t flat like it needs to be. After I cut the plastic and drilled the hole to allow it to slide, I put it in my vice and tapped it to slide it over, but the plastic cracked, because the plate it mounts to is not flat, it has a hump, or double jiggle preventing it from moving.

Does anyone now what part number or manufacturer that makes the sensor that has a flat mount plate so I can modified it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Crank shaft sensor mods

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

My sensor, before I tried to slide it sideways on the mount plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

My sensor after it broke. I ordered a new one, but the new one is the same style, the mount plate has that hump that prevents it from sliding to eather side. You cannot tell the hump is there until you cut the plastic with a dremel wheel.

I need to buy one without the hump so I can adjust my timing in my 4.7 stroker.
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Bertismyname »

Some people cut and weld the plate. Also with some basic tools a new adjustable plate would be easy to make.
Cummins90
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by Cummins90 »

I have them for all years let me know which one you want.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

I need one for a 1995 Cherokee harness. I have another replacement on the way, I should have it Friday. If it is not the flat style I will buy one from you. Do you know the exact location where the sensor should be located? I found a thread on Jeep forums that said The sensor centerline should be 2.4125” from the centerline of the bolt that goes through the bell into the block. I measured one sitting on my buddy’s garage floor, and it was 3”. This gives me concern, hence my question, Thanks.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

Bertismyname wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:57 am Some people cut and weld the plate. Also with some basic tools a new adjustable plate would be easy to make.
Do you have a picture of this easy to make adjustable plate?

Mine is going on a TF999, the bell on the automatic flares out wider sooner than a standard bell. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it is different that the pictures I have seen of standard bell housings with the home made brackets installed.

I haven’t found one thread or picture of one on a TF999.
Bertismyname
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

No. I don't have pictures of either. You stated that the bumps were preventing you from sliding the sensor. Stands to reason that a new plate would be the answer.
Have I personally done this? No I have not. But, I tend to look at things differently than most. There's a few threads here outlining the mod. I have seen pictures of how others have done it and when it is time to do mine I will be building a new plate with adjustment built in.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

275/350 I-6 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:13 am I need one for a 1995 Cherokee harness. I have another replacement on the way, I should have it Friday. If it is not the flat style I will buy one from you. Do you know the exact location where the sensor should be located? I found a thread on Jeep forums that said The sensor centerline should be 2.4125” from the centerline of the bolt that goes through the bell into the block. I measured one sitting on my buddy’s garage floor, and it was 3”. This gives me concern, hence my question, Thanks.
I don't have that measurement. There is too much advancement though. My sensors are made in the USA and have a 3 year warranty.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

Cummins90 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm
275/350 I-6 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 9:13 am I need one for a 1995 Cherokee harness. I have another replacement on the way, I should have it Friday. If it is not the flat style I will buy one from you. Do you know the exact location where the sensor should be located? I found a thread on Jeep forums that said The sensor centerline should be 2.4125” from the centerline of the bolt that goes through the bell into the block. I measured one sitting on my buddy’s garage floor, and it was 3”. This gives me concern, hence my question, Thanks.
I don't have that measurement. There is too much advancement though. My sensors are made in the USA and have a 3 year warranty.
Are your sensors adjustable. Will the sensor slide in either direction on the mount plate? That’s what I want, a sensor that I can slide to the left or right to advance or retard the timing. Thanks.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

Just to make it clear, I want a sensor that I can modify like in the attachment in post one of this thread.

The sensor is comprised of two basic parts, the sensor & wiring, all of which is plastic pretty much, and the metal plate that is steel, and the sensor is bonded to the steel plate during the manufacturing process.

In the attachment in post one of this thread, the author modified a sensor to slide on the plate. The plate the author is using has to be flat, otherwise it would not slide. This tells me there are sensors made with a flat plate.

The plate in the pictures in post one of this thread are the one I tried to modify like the author did in the attachment, however; the plate in my sensor has a hump in the steel, so it cannot be modified to slide. If you look at the attached pictures in post one you can see the hump in the steel plate.

I have Cut the hole in my TF999 bell and fabricated a bracket to mount the sensor to. Now I want a sensor that I can modify to be adjustable, and then I will bolt it to my bracket.

I know there are Different ways to attach the sensor plate to my bracket, I plan to drill it for multiple positions if I have to, but I would prefer to use a sensor that has been modified to allow the sensor to slide on the plate that it was manufactured with.

This is my question, Does anyone know of a sensor PN that has the flat plate, that can be modified to slide the sensor on the plate? I want to do it like the author did in the attachment in post one of this thread. Thanks.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

Cummins90 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm
“ There is too much advancement though.”

What does this mean? Your sensors appear to move the sensor toward the passenger side, which would advance the timing.

How can I order one of your sensors?
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

Thought I sent you a PM guess I didnt. Check your inbox.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

My $20 parts geek.com sensor came in. It has the hump in the mount plate. It looks like I have to order one from cummins90. He said his sensors use the flat plate, this means I can cut the back of the plastic, then I will be able to slide the plastic sensor on the flat steel mount plate. It will work like the attachment in the first post of this thread.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

I ended up making a bracket to hold the sensor. I had to remove the sensor mounting plate, in order to get the sensor deep enough to be within .030” of the flexplate. I used .25” aluminum for the main bracket, and two pieces of SS sheet metal, and two .25” bolts. My TF999 created some obstacles that I had to overcome. I have it installed at about 2.5” from the top bolt. Hopefully this is not advanced too far for my engine. I guess time will tell. I installed the engine, it’s time to move forward with this engine swap.