Over heating. Help!!

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Xtultegra
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Over heating. Help!!

Post by Xtultegra »

Fresh 4.6 build. Will run all day in stop and go traffic or idling up some knarly trail in 110 degree weather and never go over 195. Pull a hill on the highway or travel down the highway at 3000 rpm and it will over heat in about 5 minutes. Temp comes down if I slow down.

What I have done: new flow cooler water pump, high flow 194 thermostat, new double row aluminum radiator, new CPS, flushed the holy hell out of the system with Red Devil Flush (3 times), added wetting agent, running 60/40 water to coolant ratio.

Engine sounds great. Pulls like a beast. No stutters, backfires or misses. However, it idles past 12 degrees advanced, more like 20 degrees.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Over heating. Help!!

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Have you tried backing the timing down(not even sure it's possible without a crank sensor mod)? I've never had the issue, but I've heard friends have to back their timing down because at speed they would run hot. I don't actually know the base timing for a 4.0 is. I'm guessing it can't be more than 15* btdc.

Clogged exhaust, transmission issues, and coolant cavitation would be some other things I'd be looking at.
RubiMikeTX
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RubiMikeTX »

Are you still running the stock, original mechanical fan-clutch? If so, replace it.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Any updates?
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

Possibly running lean? what size fuel injectors are you running?
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999

Post by Bertismyname »

More than once I have seen the wrong water pump installed. Be sure that it is the correct rotation for your engine. The wrong rotation will cool a little bit. But, at higher loads and engine speeds it quickly over heats.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

KarmaKannon1 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:52 am Have you tried backing the timing down(not even sure it's possible without a crank sensor mod)? I've never had the issue, but I've heard friends have to back their timing down because at speed they would run hot. I don't actually know the base timing for a 4.0 is. I'm guessing it can't be more than 15* btdc.
It is not possible, at least how you are thinking. And retarding timing increases temps, not decrease.
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

KarmaKannon1 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:52 am Have you tried backing the timing down(not even sure it's possible without a crank sensor mod)? I've never had the issue, but I've heard friends have to back their timing down because at speed they would run hot. I don't actually know the base timing for a 4.0 is. I'm guessing it can't be more than 15* btdc.

Clogged exhaust, transmission issues, and coolant cavitation would be some other things I'd be looking at.
New header, exhaust, cat, straight flow muffler.
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

RubiMikeTX wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:53 pm Are you still running the stock, original mechanical fan-clutch? If so, replace it.
Tried stock fan and two electric fans with shroud. Electric fans worked better, but still can't go freeway speeds without overheating.
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

dwg86 wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 8:50 am Possibly running lean? what size fuel injectors are you running?
Bosch flow rates @ 43.5 psi / 3 bar24.7 lb
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

Bertismyname wrote: September 20th, 2020, 11:58 am More than once I have seen the wrong water pump installed. Be sure that it is the correct rotation for your engine. The wrong rotation will cool a little bit. But, at higher loads and engine speeds it quickly over heats.
Used stock pump, then tried high flow. No difference. :(
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

Russ Pottenger wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm Any updates?
Barely stays at 220 going 3000 rpm down freeway in 60 degree weather. Have been thinking about trying an oil cooler or maybe one big electric fan instead of the two smaller. Fan doesn't seem likely problem as I'm doing 65 down the freeway. Tried removing lights and winch but didn't help. Maybe my ecu is bad. Everything works great. Just over heat at high rpm. Jeep is nearly unusable on freeway during summer. :(
bnelson
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by bnelson »

Sounds silly but have you replaced your radiator hoses? I have seen the inside of a hose tear loose and with normal flow/low RPM they seem to cool fine but with higher RPM and faster water flow the inner lining balloons up and blocks the flow of coolant. Also how old is the radiator? Water scale buildup possibly?
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

bnelson wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:25 pm Sounds silly but have you replaced your radiator hoses? I have seen the inside of a hose tear loose and with normal flow/low RPM they seem to cool fine but with higher RPM and faster water flow the inner lining balloons up and blocks the flow of coolant. Also how old is the radiator? Water scale buildup possibly?
Yeah, started with spendy silicone hoses, but switched to oem hoses just to see if that would work.
Xtultegra

Post by Xtultegra »

Radiator is brand new double core oversize