4.7 stroker in zj with 42re flexplate issues

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
98zjstroker
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Zj

4.7 stroker in zj with 42re flexplate issues

Post by 98zjstroker »

Hey guys. This is my 1st post on this site. Went to install my new stroker build into my ZJ today and had fitment issues with my flexplate Not being able to bolt on to my transmission.

The original car is a 98 grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and A 42RE transmission. The transmission has a torque converter with a stamp code of 596 and a 90゚ bolt pattern. The crank shaft I used for the swap was a 4.2 258 out of an 1987. None of the builds that I was looking at as a guideline for this project mentioned anything about flex plate issues.

Wanting any information you guys might have on what the issue is and how to fix it. Is it drilling new flex plate holes Or do I need to get a new flex plate altogether. If I need to get the new flexplate will it still be compatible with the torque converter I have or will I need a new torque converter and which one do I need?

Thanks for your time.
98zjstroker
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Zj

Re: 4.7 stroker in zj with 42re flexplate issues

Post by 98zjstroker »

Ok so that was apparently a waste. My buddy and I did not turn the flexplate enough to go all the way around for each possible alignment ways. Needless to say I got it on.

Now the issue is trying to get the torque converter seated all the way in. This instal is a lot harder then the removal