Exos's build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Exos's build

Post by Exos »

Mine is # 70-1190. I will admit Ihave no idea wha's a cat pre-heater. But it turned out that if I rewelded the downpipe to 2.5, it would fit perfectly to the existing downpipe just before catalyst, like straight inline with the oil drain plug.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I'm mot sure what a cat pre heater is unless he is referring to the 99+ pre cats after the manifold.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Back to my washers : Turned out that the Mopar washer I ordered came in a package.... with only one washer (for 8$)... I made some research and called the dealer. They agree there must be a mistake. That part number should be a package with 20 hardened washers. They ordered some more, but I doubt I will get them before Christmas. And I NEED to swap that engine between Christmas and New Year.

So I searched more on aviation washer today and found these : MS20002-8 washers. They are high strength, heat-tread to 148 000 PSI, 1/2" washers, 5/64" thick. They are......0.14$ each, and come in a package of 100 :lol:

I will have them no later than Monday.

I received my Hesco valve cover spacer today, and the thermostat spacer. No bolts came with the thermostat spacer, so I'll have to check if I need longer bolts.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Usually Hesco sells the spacer with their modified t-stat housing and the housing includes the correct bolts. If your belt runs in front of the housing then you will need the modified housing as well. If not you will still need longer bolts. I used stainless steel bolts on mine.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Can you tell me what size bolts I need for thermostat housing (diameter and thread)? The "93 parts catalog doesn't show sizes. Also, Hesco sent bolts for the valve cover but not the studs...
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

I think I got it : 5/16-18 (NC). And I need 1/2" longer than stock. As for valve cover, it's 1/4-20, right?
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Yes the cover bolts are 1/4 x 20tpi.
John
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

First run was tonight. Started immediatly. However, I have a big problem : oil pressure is very low, triggering the "check gauges" light on idle. But I don't see why I would have low pressure with a new oil pump and everything in spec. I only hope that it's the oil press. sender that is bad, after removing and putting it back. I'll figure out a way to connect a mechanical gauge tomorrow. Anyway, I did not have any choice but to drive home with it, and it ran good.

Some other issue : the valvetrain is pretty loud, much louder than with the stock rockers. I'm not sure if it's normal, or if I have a big problem there too.

As for power : I'll have to be careful not to break my driveshaft....:)

Video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwo7tJPeSow

or here : http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/UdN ... directlink
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Your valve noise could be from the low oil pressure. I would check everything out before you ran it too much. Definatly check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

dwg86 wrote:Your valve noise could be from the low oil pressure. I would check everything out before you ran it too much. Definatly check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
I will. Note that I see oil on the rockers, and I see it splashing above 2000 rpm. Oil is also flowing in the oil filter. When I primed the oil pump, all pushrods/rockers were oozing oil.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

I bought a mecanichal gauge : same results. Zero pressure at idle, and about 15 psi at approx. 2000 rmp.... :boom: When I primed the oil pump though, I forgot to plug the oil sender fitting hole above the oil filter adapter, in the block, and it came out with a lot of pressure, so I think the oil pump should be working good.... I'm beginning to wonder if the fitting is plugged? And wouldn't the engine have died already from idling with zero pressure? I drove 20 miles with it, and it did idle several minutes. Besides the noise in the valvetrain, I did not notice anything weird.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

The comp cam combined with the roller rockers will be a bit noisy. So, your noise could be normal.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Exos wrote:I bought a mecanichal gauge : same results. Zero pressure at idle, and about 15 psi at approx. 2000 rmp.... :boom: When I primed the oil pump though, I forgot to plug the oil sender fitting hole above the oil filter adapter, in the block, and it came out with a lot of pressure, so I think the oil pump should be working good.... I'm beginning to wonder if the fitting is plugged? And wouldn't the engine have died already from idling with zero pressure? I drove 20 miles with it, and it did idle several minutes. Besides the noise in the valvetrain, I did not notice anything weird.
I hate to say it, but that oil pressure is too low, especially for a new engine. Are all the oil galley plugs in the block?
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Is there supposed to be an oil galley plug behing the timing cover? I don't remember installing one there and I see one in my parts catalog. I know the machine shop did not install any oil galley plugs. They only installed the freeze plugs. How many oil plugs are there and where are they ?
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

any reputable shop will include oil galley plugs along with the freeze plugs...