Exos's build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Exos's build

Post by Exos »

Think I found the missing plug.... I'll be tearing out the front on Sunday. The Jeep won't run untll then.

Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Bodo wrote:any reputable shop will include oil galley plugs along with the freeze plugs...
The plugs were included, and I have one left ( I thaught maybe I had one extra ), but they were not installed.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Good thing you caught that. However, you may want to tear into the engine and check for bearing wear. I would at least... but I also have horrible luck.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

SilverXJ wrote:Good thing you caught that. However, you may want to tear into the engine and check for bearing wear. I would at least... but I also have horrible luck.

I won't have time to check the bearings this weekend. But after I get my oil press back, I'll look and hear for signs of wear from outside the engine. Hopefully, no harm was done. The bad news is that I have to start it one more time, cold, to get it inside the hangar. I'll plug the block heater a few hours in advance however.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

An update, long overdue : The missing plug was installed last weekend. The pressure is back where it should be, and looking good. I only hope I did not wear anything too much. I had about 15 psi of pressure at 2000 rpm, which is not enough, I know, but better than nothing. But I had nothing at idle, and that's my main concern. I tried to idle it the less I could for the 40 miles or so it ran before I could install the plug. I don't hear any bearing noises.

The valvetrain is still making noises, but less and less as I drive it. I think the noise is "normal" for the roller rockers now. It sounds like a sewing machine, and I'm getting used to it. It lessens as it warms up. Power and torque are GREAT, and better everyday. In fact, it's not great, it's AMAZING. I'l think I'll make me a gift and pay me a dyno run, just to see. The magnaflow exhaust and hi-flow cat make a great growling sound under load, and not too disturbing while coasting.

I have to put 93 octane or else it pings on 87. I did not try 89 yet, but I think I'll stick with 93.

I have an oil leak which first I taught was the rear main seal... but I was relieved to find out it was the back of the valve cover. I'll fix this next weekend.

One last point, which I think is normal for a not fully broke-in engine, but not sure : When I press on the clutch pedal, the rpm goes to idle pretty fast, much faster than the old engine. Whatcha think?

For now, I have other things to address : I have a bad wheel bearing on the rear, and several loose attach points in the suspension (trackbar, swaybar and steering damper, and maybe also the steering box). I'll fix that next.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Exos wrote:An update, long overdue : The missing plug was installed last weekend. The pressure is back where it should be, and looking good. I only hope I did not wear anything too much. I had about 15 psi of pressure at 2000 rpm, which is not enough, I know, but better than nothing. But I had nothing at idle, and that's my main concern. I tried to idle it the less I could for the 40 miles or so it ran before I could install the plug. I don't hear any bearing noises.
I am amazed you had any pressure with that plug missing.
The valvetrain is still making noises, but less and less as I drive it. I think the noise is "normal" for the roller rockers now. It sounds like a sewing machine, and I'm getting used to it.
The Comp cam combined with the roller rockers is a noisy combo. Most of the noise is just probably coming from the aggressive lobe profile. Its off that it goes away when it warms up though. What weight oil are you running?
One last point, which I think is normal for a not fully broke-in engine, but not sure : When I press on the clutch pedal, the rpm goes to idle pretty fast, much faster than the old engine. Whatcha think?
I think its just from things being so tight in a new engine. Let it break in some then see what it does
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

What is your oil pressure now?
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

The Comp cam combined with the roller rockers is a noisy combo. Most of the noise is just probably coming from the aggressive lobe profile. Its off that it goes away when it warms up though. What weight oil are you running?
I am running Rotella T 10W30. I'm thinking of switching to 5W30 for the rest of winter (it's cold here). BTW, the noise don't go away, it's just a little less noisy when warm.
Last edited by Exos on January 15th, 2010, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

dwg86 wrote:What is your oil pressure now?
It's at 15-20 psi at idle when warm, and around 40 over 2000 rpm.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Oh, and I'm also using this :

http://www.drdetroit.com/web_anglais/mx_10_engl.html

It's made here in Quebec, and I've heard miracle stories about it. I don't know what it's worth, but I have a feeling it's a good product. It has no zinc whatsoever, but Rotella T should have some minimum anyway. And I'm not a strong believer of camshaft failure due to lack of zinc phosphate.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

Ok, let's break down the noises :

-valvetrain noise, kinda like a sewing machine : constant, but gets quieter as engine warms up
-piston slap : goes away pretty fast, as engine warms up
-weird noise : like a rattling noise, but inconsistent with rpm, not a regular tempo. Goes away eventually, but only when engine is at operating temp for several minutes. Between 1700 and 2500 rpm . I'm really not sure what it could be.. maybe the cam bearings, maybe .... I don't know. I'll change the oil soon and open the oil filter.

Otherwise, when it's hot, it runs great, has great power and torque. The oil pressure is very good and hasn't changed. No stumbles or hesitations within all rpm range. I'm approaching 1000 km, or approx. 450 miles.

I have an oil leak at the valve cover which is not fixed yet, did not have the time. I did not check my spark plugs yet either.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

My "weird" noise might be piston slap after all. I did not know what piston slap sounded like. It's like a rattle, medium tone knock. It's only under load, and it will go away after the engine is at operating temp.

Engine sitll runs great after 2000 km. I'm able to spin the tires sometimes in second gear, when the cam hits 3500 rpm... ;) I'm changing the oil and opening the filter this afternoon. I'm also getting rid of the 2 cork gaskets on my valve cover/spacer because it leaks to the point that I thaught my main rear seal was leaking.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Don't load the engine too much until its warmer up.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

SilverXJ wrote:Don't load the engine too much until its warmer up.
Yeah, I'm always warming up before I go, and I don't load it too much until the noise is gone.

But now, I have another problem. I removed my valve cover this afternoon. First, one spring in the back was rubbing on the cover. I grinded inside the cover a little bit, and it should be fine now. But another thing caught my attention : One of the holes in the head for the valve cover is leaking coolant. All other holes on driver side are blind holes except this one... I can see inside the head. If I blow compressed air through it, the radiator hose gets air. What's going on here? At first, I taught maybe the head was cracked, or the gasket blown, but there is something I don't get. How come I can see inside the head thru that hole? I'm baffled...

I reinstalled the cover and spacer with blue RTV, and I put some anaerobic sealant on the bolt for that thru hole.

BTW, it's the third hole from the front, driver side, it's right between an intake and an exhaust port. I don't burn any coolant, and I don't think the coolant level went down noticeably.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Wow.. thats weird. Must be a casting defect. I would do just as you did. Seal it up. Another option is to replace it with a stud so you aren't always breaking that seal when you take the valve cover off. I don't think its that big of a deal, keep in mind that one of the head bolts goes into the water jacket as well.