2.5 to 3.1 and a turbo soon!

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
cmcb15
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 3.1
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

2.5 to 3.1 and a turbo soon!

Post by cmcb15 »

Hey all,

I’ve actually never posted anything but I finally thought I should maybe post since there are very few to no projects like mine. I know you all are thinking...why a 2.5?! Well...lots of reasons: 1. It’s over 110lbs lighter than a 4.0, 2. by stroking it to 3.1 I’ll start with 4.0 power and still weigh MUCH less, 3. its different.

So to start I braved buying the 505 Performance 3.1 stroker kit from Zach for my 95’ YJ. Yes, he has horrible customer service but his parts have good quality once I finally got them all. I had the block machined here locally and assembled it myself. It had a broken skirt so it was time to do something anyway. Got his “custom” cam and ported HD head. Studded the mains and head and put on a long tube header. Every sensor, bolt, nut, and all accessories are new. 8.8 rear, AX-15 conversion, Tom Woods driveshafts front/rear. I’ve done a partial frame off on the Jeep and now just finishing getting the motor running and miles put on it to start the turbo build.

Got the motor running on the stock computer. It ran very good. I started to develop a studder while deccelerating after about 100 miles so after much diagnosis it was the ECU that needed help. Well those aren’t easy to find. After trying a couple stock ECU’s I decided to go aftermarket. Enter MegaSquirt! I ordered up an MS3 Gold box from EFI Source who are great guys! They’ve been super helpful thus far.

I’m in the middle of getting the wiring done so I can power up the MS3 and start testing sensors and working on a tune. More to come...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 2.5 to 3.1 and a turbo soon!

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Very interesting. Look forward to seeing your results!
cmcb15
Noob
Noob

Post by cmcb15 »

For some reason all the pics I attached didn’t show so posting some more individually. Sorry for the multiple posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cmcb15
Noob
Noob

Post by cmcb15 »

When it was just finished getting out back together.
cmcb15
Noob
Noob

Post by cmcb15 »

Ok everyone, in case anyone wanted to know...a Megasquirt MS3 WILL run a 2.5 using all stock sensors from a 94/95 and a cam sensor from a 2000 4.0. Just got her running and she runs great so far. I’ve tried to find other people that have done it and while I understand people aren’t putting much money into their 2.5’s, as a whole considering cost and effort I feel it was well worth it! Now for tuning and a turbo. More to come...
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by jasonb »

Interesting project! I don't know much about the 2.5 so forgive me, what crank strokes it? Or is it custom?
cmcb15
Noob
Noob

Post by cmcb15 »

To be honest I don’t actually know but I’m going to assume it’s custom. Stroker kits are priced about the same as everything else since they aren’t overly popular. With the weight savings and a turbo it should be pretty impressive for sure. “They claim” 200hp/200ftlbs from the stroker alone. We shall see. Once I get it driving and a decent tune I will be having it dyno tuned to see how the engine alone does then with the turbo to really bring it all together. I’m excited. Glad it’s different. A learning curve, absolutely!
Paparock1
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Paparock1 »

do you have any updates? :banana:
95YJ2.5HO
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by 95YJ2.5HO »

Nice to see someone else having fun with the 2.5. My 1995 2.5 block is currently at the machine shop getting bored and checked. Getting ready to order the ATP stroker kit with 9.2:1 pistons for a natural aspirated build. I already bought an Apexi NEO AFC piggyback for tuning it in. Just waiting to hear back from my machinist! I’m building a simple and fun ride for my wife and I to cruise the beach in. Looking forward to following your build.
superj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by superj »

that's super cool that people are doing 2.5 stuff. and the original poster using ms is even cooler, to me, because i have done an ms build and install and i couldn't get it to work because i am not computer literate so i know what he has gone through for his.

but just doing a build up of a 2.5 is very cool since no one else does anything but toss them
We broke something, I think it was traction.
SavetheSquares

Post by SavetheSquares »

Well? Any updates? I have a 95 project YJ with the 2.5 with 265,000 miles and I'm also considering keeping it basically stock but improving it with the 505 Performance 3.1.
ChrAshNBurn
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: dodge
Vehicle Model: dakota

Post by ChrAshNBurn »

i also bought a 3.1 stroker from Zach at 505. It is currently on a truck headed to me. Few questions if you don't mind.
Did you port your intake to match head? which injectors did you go with? which plugs did you go with? would you run it with a jet performance stage 2 chip? Most importantly, was it really twice as powerful as before?

We run a strait piped exhaust with a full length header, a strait pipe intake that sticks out the hood (we also have a scoop for semi-ram air depending on our whims at the time that we can reverse for rear induction if it rains), 62 mm throttle body with spacer, MSD off road ignition, 8mm wires, the aforementioned jet performance chip. anything else you reccomend as a bolt on for an extra pony or 2?

Mine is going into a 96 dakota with an AX15 that i have built for the 24 hours of lemons. we ran the old 2.5 a few races and finally blew it up which is why we are going down this route. Zach is not the best at communicating is why i wanna know about your injector/plug set up when you were running it on stock ecm.