Performance or lack of Performance

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
SatiricalHen
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Performance or lack of Performance

Post by SatiricalHen »

Cummins90 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 4:45 am Might be a good idea to view the wave sync before changing anything.
How does one view the wave sync? need a fancy scan tool or something?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Fuel Sync?

OP, where are you located?
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

SkylinesSuck wrote: February 9th, 2020, 5:34 pm Fuel Sync?

OP, where are you located?
Upstate SC, I go to school at Clemson.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Ohhhhhh, yeah, sorry, can't help you then. Go Buckeyes!! ;)

Seriously though, up in NoVa so can't help. A dealer can do the sync which takes no time at all, but they love to charge a full hour to do it which is theft. It requires a special scan tool like a DRB3 or MT2500.
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

I actually know someone with a snap on brick if it can set fuel sync. I’m not sure if it still turns on since it’s so old, but if that’ll do it I can ask him to try it out.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

You will need the jeep general communications cartridge and either the 13 or 13a personality keys.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

SatiricalHen wrote: February 7th, 2020, 8:54 pm Over the summer I built a 4.6 stroker since the head gasket went in my Cherokee and I was feeling more confident after building a 4.0 for my Comanche...Point is, this thing is a pig. I don’t know if I put something together wrong or wrong combination of parts or I missed something in my research, but I don’t know where to look and I don’t have any buddies that know anything about motors.
When you built your stroker, did you degree the camshaft when you installed it? Installing a cam “dot to dot” assumes everything was manufactured dead on, and sometimes they are not, and in this case you will find errors if you check the cam events with a degree wheel. So, if you didn’t degree it, you might want to go back and check it.
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

275/350 I-6 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm
SatiricalHen wrote: February 7th, 2020, 8:54 pm Over the summer I built a 4.6 stroker since the head gasket went in my Cherokee and I was feeling more confident after building a 4.0 for my Comanche...Point is, this thing is a pig. I don’t know if I put something together wrong or wrong combination of parts or I missed something in my research, but I don’t know where to look and I don’t have any buddies that know anything about motors.
When you built your stroker, did you degree the camshaft when you installed it? Installing a cam “dot to dot” assumes everything was manufactured dead on, and sometimes they are not, and in this case you will find errors if you check the cam events with a degree wheel. So, if you didn’t degree it, you might want to go back and check it.
I was under the impression you can only degree a camshaft with an adjustable timing set. The timing set that came with the camshaft was fixed so I lined up the dot to dot.
275/350 I-6
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by 275/350 I-6 »

I was under the impression you can only degree a camshaft with an adjustable timing set. The timing set that came with the camshaft was fixed so I lined up the dot to dot.
Yes and no. It’s kind-of semantics...The way I see it you are talking about two different things with one term.

You need an adjustable timing set, or an off-set camshaft key to advance or retard the camshaft.

You do not know if you need to advance or retard the camshaft unless you degree it.

To “Degree a Camshaft” is to “Check or Verify” a camshaft.

That may be splitting hairs, and I may be wrong, I’m no expert.

If you were to put a degree wheel on your engine and degree it (check or verify it), you would learn whether or not your dot to dot method of installation actually resulted in the camshaft timing being installed straight-up. You might learn that it is really advanced or retarded, you never know unless you actually check it. How do you check your camshaft timing. You degree it.

After you know you want to change or move the cam timing, you would need an adjustable timing set or an offset camshaft key. If you were to use an adjustable timing set to make a change, or if you used an off-set camshaft key to make an adjustment, how would you check it to determine if the change resulted in it being straight-up? You would use the degree wheel to degree it.

What I am saying is, if you don’t put a degree wheel on your engine and degree it (check or verify it), you will never know if the camshaft is installed correctly. This can be done regardless of what timing set is installed.

It is not uncommon to get cams or timing sets that have errors where the key-way was cut.
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

Well I've been absent a little lately. I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it, and for a while it was stored an hour from me. I picked it up today and checked the fluids. Coolant was low by a good bit, and when I started it up there was a skip for a little like it had previously done when the head gasket had gone, but no smoke and no sweet smell. No coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, sat right at 210. No visible coolant leaks. I drove it an hour down the highway sitting at 210 just fine, but it'll go a hair over 210, but not quite to the next notch when in stop and go traffic. Am I being paranoid about another head gasket, or does it sound like another head gasket? Its gotten warm since the stroker, but never to the red or even withing a notch of the red, right now the highest I remember was 230 and it cooled right back down when I started moving. I used an MLS head gasket since the guys from clegg recommended it, but I'm wondering if I should've gone with the stock composite style. Just seems every time I turn around something else is going wrong.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The MLS head gasket seals better and as long as you're not losing coolant, it's fine.
It's normal for a freshly built engine to run hotter until the piston rings and bearings are properly bedded in. If yours is running too hot at idle/slow traffic, you need a more powerful cooling fan.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

It has a working electric fan and a ZJ clutch on the mechanical fan thats brand new, with a new radiator, and newer water pump. All that aside, today there is definitely 100% an issue. Whether they are related or no, I don’t know but I started it up to drive to the gas station and get food and it sounded like it was misfiring bad (no code though) the afr was swinging with the sound of the misfire from 14.7 to 15.2, very down on power, and the oil pressure gauge pegged with any throttle input. I just pulled back into the parking spot and parked it. Took my Comanche and I’ll have to figure it out later. I have a lab report and a couple tests this week.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Was that oil pressure reading different before? Are the coolant and oil still clean and not mixed with each other? 230 is kinda hot but if it could right back down when you move that's just too little fan. What are you using for a gauge? Have you done a compression test? Who did the head work?
SatiricalHen

Post by SatiricalHen »

The oil pressure before was just under 40 at idle and cruising a little over 40, but this was pegged at like 1500-2000 rpm which I know for sure is not right. The oil and coolant still look great. Factory oil pressure gauge, using a scan tool for the temp. The 230 was in November, it hasn’t come close to that since. Dover Cylinder head did all the machine work on this motor and the motor in my Comanche. I have done a compression test, but not today. It was right at 130 psi on all cylinders. No significant difference on any cylinders.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

If the engine is running hot and sluggish, you might wanna confirm that the ignition timing isn’t too far retarded.