Help for a newbie

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
elimsprint
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Help for a newbie

Post by elimsprint »

Hi All,
I am a newbie to all this. I've had a '01 TJ for 15 years now and I want to put a stroker in it. I got a screaming deal on a 53020569 short block that has been hot-tanked, magnafluxed, bored .030" with custom pistons, reconditioned 258 crank, reconditioned con rods, decked .010", Comp Cams 252 cam plus a bunch of other stuff. No head, intake or exhaust manifolds. I got rebuilt Ford 24# injectors with it also.
I want to put this in my TJ but I am having real problems figuring out if it will fit, motor mounts line up, bosses etc. Also, if I can use it do I find a 0630 or a 0331 TUNY head for it. I feel the TUNY head would be better as my stock exhaust will bolt right up without the adaptor plate and has coil pack bosses but as I said before, "I know nothingk" I think I should stick with the stock exhaust as all I see is people with problems with headers online unless someone has a better idea.
Can I use the '01's ignition, coil packs, distributor etc or do I need to go back to a distributor, coil and wires? I think I can use my ignition but better to ask you knowledgeable people. Any problem with adding my accessories? I haven't determined if the crank has a short or long "snout" but I know there is an adapter available if needed. My TJ does have A/C but that could go and I wouldn't miss it if it needs to.
I have been reading and reading but the more I read the more confused I am getting, please help my poor old mind get around all this.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by Cheromaniac »

The block used in your short block stroker is from a '96-'99 TJ/XJ so your engine mount brackets should fit.
I suggest you get a 0331 TUPY head and have it reconditioned. This will allow you to use your existing exhaust manifold and bolt up the coil packs. You can also reuse all of your existing ignition components and ancillaries.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Thank you, that is what I thought. I found a 0331 head at the engine shop today but it didn't have TUPY in the casting it had 1998 there instead. I didn't think they had 0331 heads in 1998 but what do I know. It isn't a TUPY so I'll ignore it anyways. What should I do on the rebuild, stock or different valves etc?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Your 98 4.0 should have a 0630 head casting and is a good head to build from.

In my stroker builds and kits I’ll upgrade the valves to a Chevy LS 2.000 intake and 1.550 exhaust at the same time upgrading to the Chevy spring but will require machining the valve spring seat.

You’re welcome to shoot me an email and be happy to get some information out to you on my kits and cylinder heads.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Hi Russ,
Thanks for the quick answer. My short block didn't come with head or manifolds so I am thinking of finding and building a 0331 TUPY head so I can stick with the stock manifolds etc. from my '01 TJ. The head in my TJ is of course the early 0331 and I am not going to use it. My engine guy has done a couple of 4.0 strokers but he just did what his customers wanted, one went stock and the other went with the LS valves which is what I think I will do also. Nobody seemed to know about the problems with early 0031 heads and according to him both used them though there is a chance they were both TUPY's. I am in BC, Canada so I don't know what the cost of shipping a head up here would be but as I am having a hard time finding what I want I am going to send you an email to get an idea of pricing etc.
Netpackrat
Learning to use the board

Post by Netpackrat »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 6th, 2020, 11:26 pm The block used in your short block stroker is from a '96-'99 TJ/XJ so your engine mount brackets should fit.
I suggest you get a 0331 TUPY head and have it reconditioned. This will allow you to use your existing exhaust manifold and bolt up the coil packs. You can also reuse all of your existing ignition components and ancillaries.
It is my understanding that an '01 TJ needs a block from an '00-'06 TJ or from a WJ. Jeep knew the XJ would be going away for good, and they switched the TJ to use the same block as the Grand, so that once XJ production ended they would only have to make one version of the 4.0L.

https://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/the-lis ... ep.176054/
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

If your '01-'06 engine mount brackets don't fit on the '96-'99 block, you'll have no problem finding a pair that do. There's a wide selection of aftermarket as well as OEM to choose from.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 8th, 2020, 4:45 am If your '01-'06 engine mount brackets don't fit on the '96-'99 block, you'll have no problem finding a pair that do. There's a wide selection of aftermarket as well as OEM to choose from.
Have you got a link to any of the mounts that will allow one to put an XJ or early TJ block into a late TJ? I lucked into a good deal on an '02 core for mine, but asking for a friend who is still looking. All I can find are V8 conversion mounts.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

You could try the junkyards to find a pair of brackets. Otherwise you could try:

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/block-brackets

https://browndogindustries.com/
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Dallas Ashley’s Company Stink Fab has them and his bushing material is the best hands down.
He also has a tranny mount
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:17 am You could try the junkyards to find a pair of brackets. Otherwise you could try:

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/block-brackets

https://browndogindustries.com/
Thanks for the links. MORE makes good stuff; I have had one of their bumpers on my TJ since new. I knew about the heavy duty mounts at the frame, but I didn't know anybody was making replacement mounts for the block side. Now I am trying to decide if I want to spring for the heavy duty stuff or stick with the stock mounts.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Cheromaniac wrote: February 8th, 2020, 4:45 am If your '01-'06 engine mount brackets don't fit on the '96-'99 block, you'll have no problem finding a pair that do. There's a wide selection of aftermarket as well as OEM to choose from.
I'm still trying to get my head around this. The brackets bolt to holes in the engine block and it is these holes that may not line up with the '01 brackets on the '96 block. Those brackets then go over the motor mounts that are attached to brackets/pillars from the frame? This motor came with full Brown Dog mounts for an '96 XJ, brackets and motor mounts but I am assuming that none of that will help me out. I assume I need to find used or order new brackets for a '96-'99 TJ and they will attach to the motor and line up with the mounts on my frame. Is this a correct assumption? And all this is if my brackets don't fit but they might? Thanks everybody for the help, I'm slowly understanding this thanks to you.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Header or stock manifolds? If a header, is the Banks a good one to go with?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If you have the part number of the mounts you have, I would call the manufacturer and ask if they will work or if you will need something else.

I don't see the Banks header for the '00-up TJ listed on Amazon anymore, but when it was a few years ago, it had some pretty horrible reviews. Issues with cracking, Banks not honoring the warranty unless you bought it directly from them, etc. My brother put an aFe header on his '04 LJ last year, and so far he likes it a lot.
elimsprint
Noob
Noob

Post by elimsprint »

Brown Dog shows a different model number for these (XJ) and what I need which is '96 TJ. Neither mounts or brackets have the same part number, curse the luck. I'm hoping the TJ brackets for this block line up with my '01 frame mounts but I can't find any info to be sure. I have emailed a couple of the manufacturers but have yet to hear back and it's been so miserable here I haven't crawled under the jeep to measure.

Amazon.ca lists the 51306 headers which Banks says fits my jeep but they don't look much better than the manifolds and they keep the dual mini cats or whatever they are right after the manifolds. If I was going to go header I think I'd like a longer one and get rid of the minis. Is there a good header that would do that?