Finally pulled the trigger and...

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
StomperMN
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Finally pulled the trigger and...

Post by StomperMN »

<r>I purchased a '96 engine from a local recycler for $300 a couple weeks ago. I've finally got it tore down to the bare block for a stroker build. It's taken me months to decide to do this and I had finally pulled the trigger. During teardown, I found a piece of piston skirt from cylinder one in the oil pan, fairly small and have heard this is not uncommon. The cylinder doesn't look any worse for wear than any of the other cylinders. However, I'm pretty sure that there is not supposed to be a hole behind the timing chain up around the lifter galley, but I'm no expert. They have a 30 day warranty that I can hopefully get an exchange or refund on it.<br/>
<br/>
Am I right in thinking this is the end of the road for this block? <E>:(</E> <br/>
<br/>
Also, anybody know what the letters on the side of the block are in reference to? I had read that similar letters were used for sizing pistons to bores on the factory line, but they would stamp the letter on the oil pan mating surface and there would be a letter on the piston, but I find neither.<br/>
<br/>
Thanks.<br/>
<br/>
Rob<br/>
IMG_1944.jpeg
IMG_1949.jpeg
IMG_1947.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Finally pulled the trigger and...

Post by jasonb »

Pictures aren't loading for me but the hole is normal. The question gets asked frequently though because it looks bad. I cleaned mine up with a burr when it was torn down.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5765

Letters on the block were indeed for piston sizing, written in grease pencil or paint marker I think.

Jason
StomperMN
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Finally pulled the trigger and...

Post by StomperMN »

Thanks, Jason.

Yeah, after I had posted and had to wait for my post to be approved, I did some Googling and found people asking about the same hole on other websites so my fears were mostly relieved.

I'm not sure what was going on with the pictures. I tried a few times to get them into the post, even saving it as a draft which is where all the html labeling came from I guess, but looks like only the pic of the piston piece is showing up now.

Thanks again.

Rob