ram air xj/mj

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

ram air xj/mj

Post by Shark »

i was thinking of turning my corner parking lights into the blinkers and taking the current blinkers out and cutting through the core support for air inlets on both sides. then putting hood vents further back on the hood. anyone heard/done anything like this?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: ram air xj/mj

Post by Flash »

tigerShark wrote:i was thinking of turning my corner parking lights into the blinkers and taking the current blinkers out and cutting through the core support for air inlets on both sides. then putting hood vents further back on the hood. anyone heard/done anything like this?
Is this to drop the air temp under the hood ?????.......or a fresh air system for you intake????

Flash.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Flash wrote:Is this to drop the air temp under the hood ?????.......or a fresh air system for you intake????
its to drop the air temp under the hood for fresher air to my intake. so both i guess. what do you think? good idea or bad idea?
Flash

Post by Flash »

For the Highway,......Its not such a bad idea...........slow speed, I don't think it would do much.

If it, created a lot of pressure under the hood,.....it could slow the flow of air thru the radiator........But i don't thing that would happen. :huh:

Flash.

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

depending on the hood vent size, this set up should experience lower under hood temps even at low speed. i believe someone on NAXJA ran an experiment that showed having the hood vents at a certain spot on the hood created better under hood temps at low speed than having the vents on other positions on the hood.
just looked for the thread. couldnt find it. but i think it was that vents toward the front of the hood was better for lower speeds while vents being toward the rear of the hood was better at higher speeds. wonder how air inlets next to the radiator would affect this.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

I like this idea, Ive seen it on a couple Miatas. What about this: if you did this to only the left side, put a vent directly above the intake, and isolated the air from going anywhere else into the compartment. Theoretically cold air comes in, goes over the element and out through the top of the hood. It would bring intake temps down, and would not create pressure in the engine bay, which could reduce the cooling affect of the radiator. Any thoughts?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Flash

Post by Flash »

Maybe I'm just not getting it :huh: , but why not make a fresh air dam in the grill and pipe it to a box that you are filter would be in.....cool intake air! ?????????

Flash.

seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Thats kinda what I was saying, air comes in right where the drivers side blinker would be below the headlight. From there it is directed directly to the filter element. It would take a very short path and not be as exposed to underhood temps. You cant just have an opening, it needs to be a tunnel or sorts.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

seanyb505 wrote:I like this idea, Ive seen it on a couple Miatas. What about this: if you did this to only the left side, put a vent directly above the intake, and isolated the air from going anywhere else into the compartment. Theoretically cold air comes in, goes over the element and out through the top of the hood. It would bring intake temps down, and would not create pressure in the engine bay, which could reduce the cooling affect of the radiator. Any thoughts?
thats a great idea too. but i was also looking for the lower under hood temps. your idea is more like "ram air" though. it might look kinda silly with a blinker on one side but a metal grid on the other.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Have one side hit the air filter, and the other just a vent into the engine bay. Having matching hood vents on both side would look pretty nice too..
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold