I’m old school help with this swap.

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Blissfuljeep
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Sahara

I’m old school help with this swap.

Post by Blissfuljeep »

Ok so I just dropped 3k on my 4.2 amc in-line 6. Well lightning hit the free and dropped a limb on the Jeep. So my 89 wrangler is not any good. I got a great deal on a 94 wrangler Sahara with a blown engine and no trans. I want to drop my 4.2 into it in place of the 4.0 that was in it. What all do I need to do wording wise. I don’t want nor line any of the computer stuff as when I’m at the mud hole I can’t plug it in to check. (Why I love the 4.2 it’s carbed and hei distributer). What do I need to do with mate this beauty to this Jeep.
fibersport
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Re: I’m old school help with this swap.

Post by fibersport »

Since the 89 and the 94 are both YJ's, I would think anything you had in the 89 to make it run would be the same in the 94. Did you have the engine running in the 89 before you built it? There are something like 4 or 5 wires needed for an older vintage jeep to run a newer vintage engine, I don't see why there would be any difference going the other way. Here are the wires for a CJ to XJ swap: Bat +, Ground, Start, Ign Feed (what I think is called RUN in years past) and possibly another wire for Ign Feed. Just my thoughts here, hope it helps.