2001 Jeep Cherokee See 4.0! Q:

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
fonzie40
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep Chero
Vehicle Model: XJ

2001 Jeep Cherokee See 4.0! Q:

Post by fonzie40 »

I bought a 01 Jeep and I had a crackhead. I bought a rebuilt head and head gasket kit with bolts. I put it all together and it sounds like it has a miss. I did the normal checks, it has good compression 135 to 140 PSI it is getting fuel and it has spark. I narrowed it down to cylinder 5 as when I pull off the injector wire the motor stays the same but when I remove any of the other injector wires it runs rougher. I pulled off the valve cover and all of the rockers and pushrods are fine except for the intake on cylinder 5 where I can push it down quite easily. My question is: 1) would that cause the miss that I seem to have in the engine? and 2) I did the head within the last 2 weeks and it is ran less than 30 minutes worth of time, they say that you were supposed to replace the head bolts and my second question was will I have to replace the head bolts head gasket and intake gasket or can I reuse them? Thank you in advance for anyone that can answer my questions.
Netpackrat
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee See 4.0! Q:

Post by Netpackrat »

You have a bad lifter, and that will absolutely cause the miss. It's likely that the cam lobe at that lifter is messed up, too. My 2001 TJ FSM says that the head bolts can be re-used one time, so if you already re-used them once (or if you don't know whether they have been reused before), then when you remove the head again to replace the lifters and cam, you should use new head bolts as well. If you buy ARP fasteners (bolts or studs) they can be reused indefinitely.
Spurlock

Post by Spurlock »

Would you recommend getting the ARP fasteners regardless?
Sometimes all you need are one of these mini excavators to get things done.
Netpackrat
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Netpackrat »

I did. It seemed like a good idea.