Non Starter fixed.

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Non Starter fixed.

Post by Heck »

FYI. Thought y'all might be interested in the experience.

I rebuilt my stroker recently with kb944 pistons so I could use a mopar 4529228ab cam. I got everything back together last weekend. It would crank, but wouldn't start. No fuel injection happening.
I reindexed the cam angle sensor.
I replaced the crank and cam angle sensors.
A code reader gave me "faulty connector" or some such, and wouldn't pull any codes.
I rechecked every connection.
And about a hundred other little things that couldn't have had anything to do with the problem.
By now I had stressed for a week to make it run, and had given up and decided to take it to the dealer to put on their diagnostic computer (I thought I had clocked the flywheel wrong on the crank, but didn't want to pull the engine to verify).

Since it was late Saturday (yesterday), I decided to go ahead and fix the locker air pumps (mine's an '03 Rubicon) that I had relocated to driver's side battery tray, and now didn't function either. On checking the relay, the front locker had 12 volts to 3 of the 4 pins. I disconnected the front locker air pump, and it fired right off!

The locker air pumps are part of the harness that the crank sensor, vehicle speed sensor, and things electrical toward the back of the jeep, is on. I had needed to extend the wire to one of the pumps to reach the driver's battery tray, and had crossed wires. Power was now flowing to the common ground. To make sure, every time I would connect the front locker pump, the engine would die.

I'm sure happy I didn't make it to a dealer tech. No telling how much money it would have taken him to stumble on my screw-up. Sorry for the long and mostly poinless post, but after a week of pain and struggle, I had to tell someone. Thanks.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Non Starter fixed.

Post by Heck »

Update: Turns out I didn't cross any wires.
On my '03 Rubicon, there are only 2 plugs on the entire drivetrain wiring harness that will interchange. They happen to be the rear locker air pump and the vehicle speed sensor. They also happen to be about 3 inches apart on the vehicle. Instead of crossing wires, I had switched the plugs. With the vss plugged into the rear pump, when I plugged in the front pump it completed a circuit and sent power somewhere it wasn't supposed to go. :doh: :doh: :doh:
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.