Aftermarket ECU controllers

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
DaveJeep
Noob
Noob

Re: Aftermarket ECU controllers

Post by DaveJeep »

SilverXJ wrote:That sounds what I was asking for. I don't like how late the PCM comes out of closed loop and what you describe sounds like what I am looking for. My PCM code is 56041634AF (F seems to be the version number and isn't as important as the rest).
You can definitely do what you need to with it. I just checked your code and it won't let me open it since I have no license for it. My other program for GMs lets you open, but not change to save without a license so you can compare tunes.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I thought i would resurrect this thread, A few things have changed, probably for the amc guys and the 91 and earlier wrangler guys. Chrysler stopped making the ODB1 ECU that Hesco used in their EFI kit. So with that product dead, Hesco made a deal to use the DFI units in their efi kits. because the kits ship with a distributor, you do not need to mount a trigger wheel on the damper. It seems in 98% of the cases the factory ECU from a 4.0 works just fine with a stroker. If you more radical or go supercharged or turbocharged, well that is probably where you will need something different. Of course if you are replacing a 258 with a stroker, you don't have an ECU to start with, so yo need something. You can probably still get the ODB1 harness form Hesco, then collect other parts from your local boneyard. I think the harness goes for about $500.00 A big advantage of using the Factory ECU or the DFI units from Hesco is that you probably will not have tuning issues. If your engine will need a special tune anyway, the DFI still works, but will not support Coil On Plug (COP) Yoy are stuck with the distributor. I have been talking to Haltech about putting the jeep crank pattern into their ECU. I got an email the other day that they will have it in the next software release in March. The 92-2003 jeeps used a 18-2-2-2 trigger pattern. The Sprint ECu is about $1,000 It has 4 injector drivers and 4 ignition drivers. I believe you can drive 2 high impedance drivers off each output, or use a driver board like this http://www.alamomotorsports.com/FJO/injdrvr.htm to increase current to the drivers. If yo want to use an electronically controled trans, the pre 96 xj used a seperate trans controller, as well as the renix vehicles. they do need the TPS signal and crank trigger signal to work properly.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

As far as I know (don't know much about renix) all XJs use a separate transmission computer.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

You are correct, but the ODB2 units send the engine speed and TPS signals over a serial communications link ( lin network?) to the transmission controller. The earlier ones looked at the signals directly. I guess another solution would be to hunt down one of those shift kits that just lets you control the shifts manually and eliminates the computer
Peter Lechtanski
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Plechtan wrote:I thought i would resurrect this thread, A few things have changed, probably for the amc guys and the 91 and earlier wrangler guys... ....I have been talking to Haltech about putting the jeep crank pattern into their ECU. I got an email the other day that they will have it in the next software release in March. The 92-2003 jeeps used a 18-2-2-2 trigger pattern. The Sprint ECu is about $1,000 It has 4 injector drivers and 4 ignition drivers. I believe you can drive 2 high impedance drivers off each output, or use a driver board like this http://www.alamomotorsports.com/FJO/injdrvr.htm to increase current to the drivers. ... they do need the TPS signal and crank trigger signal to work properly.

Peter-- returning the favor of ressurection. :cheers:

I am putting a turbo on my 4.2 hybrid. I am looking at Haltec as well. (my neighbor is an import 'tuner' icon & is going to help me with this-- Haltec is his #1 choice).

I REALLY don't want to run the crank mounted crank sensor, as I have been running one with the OBD1 system (on a 4.2 block) and have had issues with it all along (balancer delaminates, etc). Has Haltec steeped up to alow us to use the OEM 4.0 flywheel & sensor? (I have a 4.0 flywheel & bellhousing on mine now)

I read about your going with a 6 COP (coil-on-plug) setup. Did that ever come to be? I will love to loose the distributoor. Has that worked out?

I am looking at the Haltec Sport 1000
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

Haltech said they were going to do the Jeep Trigger, but then never did. I think the 92 and up 4.0L uses a 18-2-2-2 trigger. basically notches 20 degrees apart, but then 2 teeth missing every 4. so 4 notches, a big space (2 teeth wide) then 4 teeth etc. The renix had more teeth, i think there is a Renix manual somewhere on this site, A better way to go would be to find a renix flywheel and go with a Megasquirt 3, it will do the renix and can handle all the injectors and coils without having to double up. The just came out with the Megasquirt pro, much better packaging, but price is around $1,000 THe MS3 is more in the $500 range.

On my indivudal coil setup i used LS7 coils and controlled the directly from the Haltech. I had a 2000 and made a trigger tha bolted onto the damper and made my own cam sensor. You cannot completely loose the distributor because you need somthing to turn the oil pump. I think the 99 and up just used a cam trigger instead of a distributor, so that may be the way to go.
Peter Lechtanski
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

Thannks for the info.

The $1k pricetag is ok. The haltec is in that neighborhood.

What was the catch with Haltec not including the Jeep crank sensor in their programming? The tuner I will be using does alot of work with them. I wonder if we can get this pushed through.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I don't know what happened, the aggreed to do it, then I emailed them last june and they said they decided not to include it. I do like the Haltech allot, and if your Tuner has some pull he can probably get them to do it. I guess sombody has a 36-2-2-2 that they support so the jeep pattern shouldnt be a big effort.
Peter Lechtanski
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

Time is drawing near for me to pull the trigger on an engine management system. I am leaning towards the Megasquirt, because of the compatibility with the crank/cam sensors.

I still have to get a hold of Haltec and see about them supporting the Jeep sensors.

Any new ideas/suggestions? Peter, are you the only one on here running a stand-alone?
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I believe the Megasquirt supports the Renix pattern which is different than the 92 and up 4.0 trigger pattern. The biggest seller of aftermarket engine controllers is Hesco. They use to sell the Chrysler factory stuff, but the ECUs are no longer availabe, so i think they switched to the Accel DFI system. That would be the easiest to implement because the sell a premade harness and you know it will work. You could always use the # 77242 Distributor,DUAL SYNC JEEP 4.0L W SM CAP from Malory or Accel and then use the Haltech or really any other EFI system.
One of the members here took the trigger wheel out of a ford 6 cylinder distributor and replaced the cam trigger wheel in the jeep distributor with that. This gave him the 6 pulses he needed for the MS3 but he lost the cam signal. If you don't care about sequential injection this is the cheapest and easiest way to go. If you want sequential then get the dual sync distributor and run any EFI you want. The distributor sells for somewhere between $300- $390 Depending where you buy it. so not a lo buck solution, but very clean.
Peter Lechtanski
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

I got an email from MegaSquirt (MS) today. They said that the MS3Pro supports the OBD1 4.0 crank/cam sensors. It does however require an external ignition module and MAP sensor.

based on past experience with the bolt-on crank sensors, I REALLY want to use the OEM sensor setup, if at all possible.

I am pretty sure I want the sequential injection, no?

Do I need that dual sync distributor if the MS3Pro supports all the factory sensors?

Any recommendations on a ignition module that will work with the OEM dizzy?
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

you sure it won't run off the obd1 trigger wheels? what's the stock patterns? if all else fails you can always just swap in the renix stuff and still have an oem part. i'm in the process of soldering up my ms3 right now to go into my renix jeep
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by jbxx »

Just waiting on me to put the engine in and test it with the Renix ECU before:
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

shawnxj wrote:you sure it won't run off the obd1 trigger wheels? what's the stock patterns?

shawn, apparently it will. MS recently added the later model Jeep sensors to their software. I will be using the OBD1 sensor family.

anyone have a place to get the best price on MegaSquirt products?
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

i bought my kit from diyautotune.com