bored out throttlebody?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Sighman
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

bored out throttlebody?

Post by Sighman »

I did a search and didn't find much info. Is it a good idea to have the throttlebody bored out for the stroker? I'm having my machinist bore mine to 62mm and building a larger butterfly plate. Any advice or cautions on having this done?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: bored out throttlebody?

Post by Muad'Dib »

Sighman wrote:I did a search and didn't find much info. Is it a good idea to have the throttlebody bored out for the stroker? I'm having my machinist bore mine to 62mm and building a larger butterfly plate. Any advice or cautions on having this done?
Id say its a good idea :idea:
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Definitely a good idea. I did the same thing on my stroker before I decided to go overkill with a heavily modified Mustang 65mm TB instead.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

Several people on Ebay will sell you a bored out one, and give you a $50 refund when you send yours back. Seems like a pretty good deal. What it it costing you to modify yours?
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Have Oletshot do it for you ;)

Hes done alot of work for guys on this forum including me. PM him, and see if he has time to do it. His prices will be unbeatable.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I got mine off of FleaBay used and CHEAP!, (NO core!) and put it on the'00 intake on my 4.0, seat of the pants acceleration was noticeably improved! It should let the stroker breath nicely!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Sighman
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Sighman »

As I have the one off the motor I'm building it was free and the machinist is my friend and neighbor so its all free :)
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Definitly worth it. I milled out my own, and honed it to give it a great finish. it took me 3 attempts at a throttle plate to get my tooling perfect, but it works great
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Sighman
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: bored out throttlebody and spacer?

Post by Sighman »

Good deal, I'll post pictures once its done, I figured as it wouldn't cost me anything and I still have the one that is one the Jeep now, I had nothing to lose! I'm also having him make a spacer plate, anyone know what the best thickness is?
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

Dino, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember a big argument on the JU board years back about the effectiveness of a spacer.

Wasn't there "proof" of the graphs the sites selling the spacers being manipulated, and essentially they ended up being a snake oil product?

If I am WRONG, I'm ok with that. I'd just rather save someone a few bucks if need be.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Itrium wrote:Dino, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember a big argument on the JU board years back about the effectiveness of a spacer.

Wasn't there "proof" of the graphs the sites selling the spacers being manipulated, and essentially they ended up being a snake oil product?

If I am WRONG, I'm ok with that. I'd just rather save someone a few bucks if need be.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62

A spacer did me alot of good on my basically stock RENIX. Especially after i installed a bored throttle body. It helped smooth out the throttle response. With just the bored throttle body, the throttle response was was to quick. It was like if you barely pressed the pedal, you were at half throttle.. or at least thats what it felt like. With the spacer it was much smoother.

Esentially with a spacer your just adding more plenum volume. Granted it may not be very significant... but sometimes every little bit counts.
Sighman
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Sighman »

I had "heard" that it helps increase/maintain the high velocity air flow into the cylinders, but as you state I've also heard its just snake oil! I am polishing and porting the head as well as doing the induction hood scoop (without the air tube into the Jeep):

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

JP Magazine tested the TB spacer on a 99+ intake and it didn't do much at all. However, I have heard that it helps on the earlier intake manifolds.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Itrium wrote:Dino, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember a big argument on the JU board years back about the effectiveness of a spacer.

I noticed a small gain in performance and a near 1mpg improvement in fuel economy after I installed my TB spacer so I wouldn't call it snake oil on a '91-'98 4.0 model. There's no benefit from installing the spacer on '99+ models with the newer curved runner intake manifold.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Sighman
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Sighman »

Well I got the throttlebody back from my friend yesterday and installed it on the stock 4.0 that's still in the Jeep and noticed a difference right away. Much more responsive throttle and it seems to reach mid range rpm's a little faster, I can't wait till the stroker is finished to put this thing on it!
:banana: