years

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

years

Post by shockcocker04 »

i called crane and they told me i cant use my mopar performance cam in my 2001 block because of the timing gears? they also said that i need a cam that is for electronic ignition? my mopar cam is for 1997 and older. no one makes aftermarket cams for my engine. help clear this up for me :brickwall:

thank you guys so much!
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: years

Post by Flash »

shockcocker04 wrote:i called crane and they told me i cant use my mopar performance cam in my 2001 block because of the timing gears? they also said that i need a cam that is for electronic ignition? my mopar cam is for 1997 and older. no one makes aftermarket cams for my engine. help clear this up for me :brickwall:

thank you guys so much!
You can us a 99 ....or is it 98?????? or older, in a newer eng, Just have to us the timing gear set from the older eng, on you newer eng......will also need the cam bolt with spring and pin in it(99 and older)

You just cant put a 2000+ in a 99 and older as there is no provision for the the thrust plate on the older block.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

thank you, whats the deal with the electronic ignition then? i dident think it mattered considering that its mechanical, unless the specs are so different that my cam sensor will have a fit?

thank you
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

You will want to keep the lobe separation 112 or higher in a computer controlled EFI. I know some have used the mopar pefromance cams with no problems. The MP cams are 108 lobe seperation, but the duration is smaller, keeping valve overlap down. If you keep the cam lobe separation the same and increase duration, you will also increase valve overlap. Too much valve overlap will kill vaccum. Computer controlled cars need higher vaccum to run.

If you are building a high torque, low to mid range engine, I would say keep the intake duration below [email protected] and keep the lobe separation at or above 112 and you should be good.

What Mopar cam are you going to use?
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Not sure if its a side effect of the 30AB cam, but when my engine is cold, it RUNS like it has a snotty cam in it. Once it warms up for a about 20-30 seconds, it smooths out. Sounds kinda neat :-)
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I like the lope of the 30. It pulls 17"HG of vacuum at idle and works with my 96 obd2 setup. Just buy the older timing set, cam pin and spring, and go for it.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

its a 256/256 adv duration, 40 overlap, 108 center line, 0.450/0.450 lift, 1300 to 4900 rpm mild cam. would i be able to use stock valve springs and pushrod length? :huh:

thank you
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I used the springs recommended for the 30ab: 5249464 or some # like that with alot of 4s, that are good til .524" of lift. Stock springs are good to .43" or so. Check out jeepconnection.com or mopartsracing.com and the cam specs will show you the correct springs. Advanced Auto has these springs for like $7 a pop.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

advanced has the mopar springs? would magnum springs be to much?
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

my advance here dosent stock any of the springs, ill just have my machine shop order them 2moro and install them. as for push rods i have stock length sealed power, will they work with my mp cam and mp lifters? also will my cam supply enough vac for my electronic ignition?

thank you guys, im hoping to have my cam in tonite when i get your feed back :worship:
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I got pushrods that were 9.602" instead of the stock 9.640"(some brands have 9.639" and 9.641" as stock). Your length will depend on how much you remove from the head, the block, and if you use a thinner head gasket than the .051" stock. Add those amounts up and subtract it from 9.640" to find the size you need. Check the available pushrods in the faq section and find one that is closest to what you need.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

ok cool, now i noticed that the 93 timing cover i have has a little nipple looking thing that the cam spring button rides on, and on my 01 timing cover does not have it? what timing cover should i use on my 01 block with older timing set up?

thank you
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I have ran the Comp Cams 68-231-4 with 111 lobe separation and the computer never complained. This is the first I have heard of a timing cover with out the nipple. I know my 2000 cover has it. You may want to try to find a 2000 and keep and eye on the bolt holes.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

well mines a tj would that matter? and do i need the nipple on the timing cover?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Doesn't matter if it is a TJ... its just a jeep with an 4.0L. And you need the nipple if you are going to the older cam setup.